Help. Chicks won't stop chirping and wont let me put them down

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Deb T, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Deb T

Deb T Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2016
    Nevada Tx
    Help chicks won't stop chirping. They started chirping very loudly about 30 minutes ago. They flew out of the open brooder to me. Every time I try to put them down it gets worse. They only thing that has changed was i took the heat light away but that was early this morning. I live in NOrth Texas and we are expected to have storms. But no activity now. Do you think it is affecting them now that they are a little older? They are 4 weeks

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    They want their light.

2 people like this.
  3. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Could they be chilled? Is it dark in their brooder? When mine were little they would kind of freak out when I shut off the light at bedtime. I ended up having to let them have a nightlight. Then they were okay. They eventually did fine with no nightlight when they were older.....and now is when I realize I am a crazy chicken lady. Nightlights! For chickens!

They may be able to sense storms coming, and it's making them nervous.

2 people like this.
  4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Whatever makes them happy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017

Of course!

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    It's possible they're chilled & unsure of the darkness which they're not used to to. I used to have that problem too until I changed my heating method to MHP (heating pad). They're kept warm & learn the difference with day & night, alot calmer chicks. There's a thread here about it, check it out.

7. dawn secord

dawn secord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Southern California
    I've read as well as noticed with my own chicks that when they get chilled they are noisy. When their temperature is comfortable they are quiet. It may have to do with the light but I definitely would be worried that they're chilly

8. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Why would you take their heat source away just because of approaching storms? Of course they're loud, they're cold. At last resort you can use your body heat to keep them warm; but expect to change clothing after. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  9. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    IMO 4 week olds don't need a heat lamp, especially indoors. They should pretty well be feathered out. Is it dark in the brooder? That may be the problem.

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Good grief. Chicks at four weeks do NOT need a heat lamp! Do. Not. Need. Heat. Unless it's below freezing. Do you keep your house at 30F?

Your chicks need space. They need a coop. They need a run to run around in.

How is your weather these days? Is it getting into the 70s during the day? Is it above freezing at night? If so, you can begin letting your chicks spend all day out in the run and bring them inside at night. After a few days of that routine, you can move them into the coop and let them fend for themselves.

No heat unless you want to keep them from ever being cold hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by