Help!!! Chukar eggs not hatching but can hear them??

If so that's why your getting different readings. You want to position the digital thermometer probe exactly were the eggs are at. So get an egg an put it on the side of the turner and put the probe there it should give you am accurate reading...

I have little gaint incubator and there is a small fan inside so I believe it would be a non-still air incubator. The digital incubator probe is sitting on top of an egg you think I should put it at the very bottom of the screen an and egg and I will get a better reading?? I just came to basement and it's reading 103 took the digital reader put in the bottom by screen with an egg it's really only reading it 101.5. Should I leave the probe for the digital thermometer on the screen underneath the eggs???? My temp just jumping everywhere :( Temps in Michigan have been jumping all around 55-80 don't think it's helping

Last edited:
. Some of my eggs have very big air sac's? Is that ok?? Think they will make it? Day 12

. Quails that hatched last Friday doing good :). Can I put baby quail with baby chukar???? Chukar are about week an half older then quail. My quail see more aggressive. ????????

What kind of quail are they? And no you can't put them together because chukar get aggressive and will kill them. And they can step on them and sleep on them and they will die it's happened to me with different aged chukar, and quails are way smaller so just don't do it. It's also a Biosecurity risk.

There's an article I posted on another thread about my problems with maintaining the temp in my incubator. I did have a better success rate when I switched out to a digital thermostat. Even though mine is a circulating air one, each tier has a temperature gauge that won't always match the one above or below it. You might want to invest into an infrared thermometer (the one that looks like a knockoff start trek phaser) and use that to actually measure the egg temp and not the air temp. I noticed, though, that usually the temp of the egg is always a little lower than the air temp (usually around 95-97 vs 99-101 for the air temp) The core egg temp seems to be very stable regardless of the air temp, barring any large fluctuations (did have a power outage the first time I was incubating for about 8 hours and they cooled off down to around low 90's).

I'm pretty sure they need to be incubated at 99.5F. The core temperature of then isn't suppose to be 99.5F. I have a digital incubator I just set the temperature digitally at exactly 99.5 and regulates it at that temperature. An infrared thermometer is not needed. You just need a digital thermometer. Also your temperature might be off because your room where your incubator is at needs to be at a stable temperature. So if it gets hot in your house it will go up in your incubator as well.

The quail were shipping has assorted speckled quail eggs so I'm not sure what type of quail they are. I will keep them separated if it could be an issue like you said. Thank you for advice!!!! I know my eggs in incubation now are Bob White Quail.

Personally not a fan of digital thermometers as I think their calibration and sometimes cheapness from china makes me suspect of their accuracy. An alcohol or mercury thermometer is very accurate. Downside is they're slow to change and everyone's afraid of mercury. But I think they are useful as they can be used to calibrate a thermostat (digital or otherwise) and digital thermometer to make sure the temp sown is accurate. Keep in mind that the positioning will skew the temp. Not something to do with buns in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom