Help! Coyotes jumping fence

Shelti Farms

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2018
So frustrated. Seems like we fix one predator issue only to have another. Last summer it was hawk attacks, now I’m having coyote issues.

I have 48” premier electric netting, and it seems that the coyotes are jumping right over it. Fence isn’t saggy and is full-power; no shorts anywhere. Coop has an automatic door, but I’ve had a few stragglers/new ducks that didn’t make it in, and by the time I got down there to put them up, they were already gone :( Need to figure out a solution. My chickens are so stressed, they haven’t been laying

Maybe try baiting your electric netting so coyote gets a jolt. Only way to get the jolt, is when on the ground and actually touches fence. If jumping over, even if brushes the top of fence, no jolt because no ground.
:hugsSorry to hear your loss. I know it is soooo sad.
Many peeps use strips of bacon, or strips of chicken skin for bait. The electri jolt may convince coyotes to look somewhere else for their food.:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

So frustrated. Seems like we fix one predator issue only to have another. Last summer it was hawk attacks, now I’m having coyote issues.

I have 48” premier electric netting, and it seems that the coyotes are jumping right over it. Fence isn’t saggy and is full-power; no shorts anywhere. Coop has an automatic door, but I’ve had a few stragglers/new ducks that didn’t make it in, and by the time I got down there to put them up, they were already gone :( Need to figure out a solution. My chickens are so stressed, they haven’t been laying
You will need to somehow run a hot wire at 5ft if they are jumping it. You could put in tposts taller than your netting and run one wire alongside the perimeter, outside the netting. @Howard E might tell you how to set it up. I was going to use those long insulators at the top so they would hit that first if they jumped. But it has to be set up different because they won't be touching the ground.

Would be curious to hear what solutions Premier has to offer for animals that jump over their netting. They (animals) probably see it more as a physical fence than an electric one.....probably have not been shocked by it yet. I find that once animals have been given a good shock, they are reluctant to leave their feet to jump or fly over it......at least to get in. In a panic, they will do that to get out.

As others have suggested, baiting is the easy first step. A thin strip of any kind of meat......drape it over the fence......nose level.....and hold it in place with a clothes pin. Bacon.....chicken skin....chicken bones.......recently tried the highly fishy fragrant skin off a salmon fillet and it drew in all kinds of varmints. One lick ought to do it.

Byond that, for a die hard......since you already have a fence charger and netting, a second low temp fence about 2 or 3 feet outside the netting would mean the coyote would have to get close....perhaps even touch the new low fence......to get close enough to get over the netting........and get himself shocked in the process.

I agree with the previous posters, you can follow their advice and be successful!

In addition keep in mind how an animal will jump the fence and see how you can intercept that jump or better yet prevent it altogether. The coyote will approach the fence, get very close, within a step or two, them jump almost vertically right up and over.

As opposed to cats which prefer to land up top, on top of a post say, then down to the other side.

I'm positive that's not always 100% the case every single time, but for the most part this is how these animals behave.

One day I'll be on jeopardy (alongside a bunch of you on this board!) with all this useless information in my head :D :D

Last edited:
I had coyotes jump over a 5' fenced in small pen. The birds went over it as the coyote was chasing them. Since I put netting over all of my pens and electric wire around them. We have a lot of coyotes here. Here nothing preys on coyotes but they will prey on other predators even fox and bobcat if they can catch them. This was the coop where the coyote went over the fence. I couldn't believe it. We have since moved the coop. When the coyote jumped back out I did shoot at it but had bird shot in my gun so I didn't kill it but it ran off but not before killing some of the birds.
IMG_0137.JPG

Maybe try baiting your electric netting so coyote gets a jolt. Only way to get the jolt, is when on the ground and actually touches fence. If jumping over, even if brushes the top of fence, no jolt because no ground.
:hugsSorry to hear your loss. I know it is soooo sad.
Many peeps use strips of bacon, or strips of chicken skin for bait. The electri jolt may convince coyotes to look somewhere else for their food.:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs
I would not use food and bait them. That will only encourage them to come back.

Back
Top Bottom