Help! Coyotes jumping fence

We just lost seven hens 5 days ago. There was not a body left, only feathers. I heard a ruckus and ran down to the enclosure. A young coyote was in the pen and scrambling to kill #8.
I ran him off and he jumped the 5" lodge pole and chain link fence like it wasn't there. Today I had it raised to 8' in height by adding strong posts and more chain link. I hope that is enough. Any feedback on fence heights? Will I need barbed wire or electric wiring in addition? I plan to install tarps with grommets around the bottom so they can't stalk the chickens so easily.
It is a real heart breaker to witness a scene like that. I have been raising hens for 15 years.
I've lost one at a time here and there, but nothing like this!
I have added a photo of my favorite little girl. Frizzle. I sure miss her.
I'm so sorry! That had to be heartbreaking. You really should either put rollers along the top of your fence or electrify it. Coyotes can climb!

A .22lr to the head will do the job but a .223,25-06, 7mm-08, .243 are all good choices and will fold them up quick.

Unfortunately, coyotes are intelligent and persistent. Once they find and easy meal, they will return regularly for another.

You can try better fencing, but I find elimination a more successful solution. Get a red spotlight and stake out a night or two and bag a few.

I'm so sorry especially about your Frizzle..heartbreaking to lose them, and that had to be devastating to witness that. At least you saved one.
Where do you live? They say we have coyotes here in Southern Indiana but I don't think we have that many to worry about, although I could be wrong.
I would think an 8 foot fence would be sufficient, but electric is always good, however the top wire will not shock them if they are not touching the ground. I was looking at overhangs because that's what they use for mountain lions, so surely it would work for coyotes.
That is a good point about the electric wire being up high. Thank you!

A .22lr to the head will do the job but a .223,25-06, 7mm-08, .243 are all good choices and will fold them up quick.

Unfortunately, coyotes are intelligent and persistent. Once they find and easy meal, they will return regularly for another.

You can try better fencing, but I find elimination a more successful solution. Get a red spotlight and stake out a night or two and bag a few.
Yes, coyotes are very wily and it is mating season to boot.
I am getting a high powered pellet gun. A coyote was up by our gate howling and crying this morning at 8am. Could have shot it fairly easily.

I am a bit surprised no one has suggested putting a lid on the run.

I have seen fox clear a 6' privacy fence like it wasn't even a tiny challenge.

I do believe in solid fencing and at least chicken wire firmly secured over the top. It will keep out more than just coyotes.

Yes not grounded means no zap with electric fence.

Back
Top Bottom