1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP: cranberry and orange relish mm good. Is it ok for my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jasonm11, Nov 26, 2010.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    My mother makes a great cranberry and orange relish. In a holiday festive mood. I thought it was so good I took a bowl out to my flock. They relished it [​IMG]

Okay bad joke but they ate every bit of it. later on I was petting one of the girls and noticed what I thought was a goiter. It was her crop. I checked all the other girls and same thing. I hope I didnt hurt them by feeding them the relish. Is it normal for a chickens crop to feel the size of a large egg after eating? it was a firm consistency not squishy in the least.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    A big crop is OK
    Cranberry is good for chickens, but the sugar and citrus is not something you want to give them too often.
    ON

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I never really paid attention to how big thier crops got after they fed, but today when i picked one of the girls up I was flabbergasted by how much they can eat at once. They sure did like that stuff. [​IMG] Thanks for the feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by