Help! Crop is huge

She can go sleep with her buddy. Continue giving her access to water. She should be fine.

I have a sick chicken right now, and she's sleeping in the coop with her flock. I've found that sick chickens recover much more quickly when kept with their friends unless they have something contagious or are so sick you need to confine them in order to make it easier to treat them.

After you are sure most of the excess grit has been flushed out, watch her carefully to see if she starts in again scarfing grit. That may indicate she needs to be rationed on grit, which will be as tricky as providing food to a bulimic human.

She can go sleep with her buddy. Continue giving her access to water. She should be fine.

I have a sick chicken right now, and she's sleeping in the coop with her flock. I've found that sick chickens recover much more quickly when kept with their friends unless they have something contagious or are so sick you need to confine them in order to make it easier to treat them.

After you are sure most of the excess grit has been flushed out, watch her carefully to see if she starts in again scarfing grit. That may indicate she needs to be rationed on grit, which will be as tricky as providing food to a bulimic human.
She is snuggling in my lap at the moment (so cute 🐥🐤😍) but yeah I'll put her in the coop, her little buddy is all alone maybe a bit scared. I'll just bring her back in first thing in the morning

So she was doing great this morning and her crop about emptied out. So I put her in the run with no grit available but I did sprinkle a little in the food mostly for the other bird. I checked on them and then I saw her crop was double it was before! She ate all the food and then possibly food or bedding I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if my other chicken got any food. I think something is wrong with this chicken. Do you think the several days of 102 temp fried her brain?

Recall I mentioned an eating disorder called pica? It can affect animals and humans. It's a compulsion to eat non-food items. We've had a few cases of it here on BYC. One of the most common is for a chicken to consume hardware such as screws and washers and paper clips. Sometimes it's dirt, gravel or shavings. There is no cure. Even humans have mixed results from psych counseling. Humans with pica also consume screws, washers and paper clips, as well as dirt and gravel and paper.

Recall I mentioned an eating disorder called pica? It can affect animals and humans. It's a compulsion to eat non-food items. We've had a few cases of it here on BYC. One of the most common is for a chicken to consume hardware such as screws and washers and paper clips. Sometimes it's dirt, gravel or shavings. There is no cure. Even humans have mixed results from psych counseling. Humans with pica also consume screws, washers and paper clips, as well as dirt and gravel and paper.
Woah that's nuts! I hope that's not the case. But I think Im starting to think if that's the way she is going to be I can't monitor her forever. I'm just going to let her self regulate or let her end it. It's to bad she is such a beautiful bird, I hope she figures it out.

Back
Top Bottom