Help! Daily routine? Coop maintenance?

Sarah B.

Chirping
Jul 12, 2017
Iceland
So recently I moved my chicks into the coop, it's not 100% ready yet but I'm working towards it. I've got to put a rooster in there and make a hole so they can get in and out when they want. They have a nest, food, water and pine shavings. I try to let them out every day for about five hours or more if I have time. But I'm wondering;

How often do I need to change the water?

How often do I need to feed them per day? And should I vary food (I often give them alternates in the evening) and when?

Is there a 'special' routine I should follow?

When do I need to change the pine shavings?

Should I have different types of nests? I've heard some hens are very picky -so far mine don't like the one I put in (it's a basket filled with pine shavings -they just dig all the shavings up and to the floor)

Should I let them out for more periods of time?

Is there a special diet for winter that's recommended?

Do I need a heat source for winter? -I live in Iceland. Winters get really cold.

I'm really worried if I'm doing something wrong. . .

FYI ; I've got one Icelandic pullet, one Icelandic cockerel and one EE pullet. It's still autumn but Winter Is Coming.

You should change water every day to avoid any bacteria.
I just fill my feeder and add more when it gets low, so they always have access to food.
No special routine, you will come up with one as time goes on.
Pine shaving changes, depends on a lot of things. I do deep litter method and just turn my shavings with a shovel once a week, and add more as needed. I change it only once a year. But I have a poop board under the roost so that catches most of the poop.
As for nests, I wouldn't put any in there until they get close to laying eggs. Littles tend to sleep in them or poop in them. Most chickens will use whatever is there. I always put a few more nests in than I really need, because they will choose a favorite nest.
You don't need a heat source as long as your coop stays dry, no wind blows on them in there and you have good ventilation and a roost that they can sit on and cover their toes.

How often do I need to change the water?
I change the water once a day, in the evening. When mine were little they kept kicking straw/ shavings in to the water so I built a box out of wood to elevate it. If you find they are drinking all the water you'll either need to refill it more often, or get additional water containers. I have 2 1-gallon containers I refill once a day for 13 birds.

How often do I need to feed them per day? And should I vary food (I often give them alternates in the evening) and when?

This may vary depending on who you talk to, but I leave feed out all the time. I'm actually using 2 large dog food bowls and I fill them up each night. They toss enough on the ground, and have access to outside to eat bugs/ grass that if the bowl is empty they won't starve.

Is there a 'special' routine I should follow?

That's up to you, but I would definitely start a pattern to get them to come to you. I free range my birds for a little bit each night. When it's time to come in I shake some feed in the scoop. The birds hear it and come running. I sprinkle it out in the run so they have to go into the coop to get it. It makes it much easier to round them up.

When do I need to change the pine shavings?

Personally, I use straw, but I change bedding whenever it gets wet or poopy. I do a coop clean out once every couple months.

Should I have different types of nests? I've heard some hens are very picky -so far mine don't like the one I put in (it's a basket filled with pine shavings -they just dig all the shavings up and to the floor)

Mine dig in the boxes too. I just shove the straw back into the box. They all seem to favor one box right now, but previously it was another that they don't care for anymore. Mine are often digging around in boxes b/c they think they'll find something to eat. They may stop, they may not. I've noticed that they seem to like the boxes that are more secluded and private for laying, the ones on the ends. My boxes are more open and they don't seem to like that much.

Should I let them out for more periods of time?

I try to let mine out for at least an hour a day, supervised. I rarely leave them outside alone, but I've had problems w/ predators. They have 24/7 access to a covered run and can go out there whenever they want so I don't worry too much about them having outside time if I can't fit it in, but I do try to let them out a couple times a week only b/c they've eaten all the grass in the run.

Is there a special diet for winter that's recommended?

IDK

Do I need a heat source for winter? -I live in Iceland. Winters get really cold.

I'm not sure. They say they can survived w/o heat, but maybe someone w/ more info could help you. This is my first chicken winter and everyone's told me that I don't need heat & that ventilation is important. The biggest concern for most is keeping their water from freezing. I will say that one morning I was very worried that they'd been warm enough over night as it got down to 34 degrees F for the first time this fall and they were all outside happy as can be while only 38 degrees. I stopped worrying so much after that.

Here's my experience. I only have 3 hens and live in Pennsylvania where winters can range from very cold to balmy!

Water-- I have clean water available all the time. I change it daily. Your biggest problem will be keeping the water from freezing. I use a heated dog bowl that I elevate on bricks to keep debris out.

Feed-- I have it available all day. If it will be a very cold night, I feed them a handful of cracked corn or scratch just before bed. Digestion of the carbs keeps the chickens warm overnight.

Nest box (I only have one)-I use shavings which I change daily along with the poop tray.

Shelter--I have a small coop and run. I winterize the run with heavy plastic, leaving 2 sides open for ventilation. This shelters them from the coldest winds and rain/snow. I allow them to free range about an hour a day in the winter but watch them closely. We have a lot of hungry hawks and fox! I also make sure the run and coop are secure. Especially at night. If your coop has a door, close it. Not only will this protect them from predators, it will also keep them warmer.

Heat--our winters (SE Pennsylvania) have been mild since I've had them, lowest temp maybe 6 degrees F. So we don't use supplemental heat. You have to watch for frost bite on the combs, depending on the breed. I heard you can rub petroleum jelly on the combs to protect them but I've never done this!!! I've also heard chickens are ok down to 0 degrees F but you may want to do more research on this.

Routine--you'll pick one up over time.
Enjoy your chickens!

Hello, :frow
This is my daily Chicken care...
If needed, I change water every morning or every second day...I fill feeder every morning.
I collect eggs around noon, then again late afternoon.
I free Range my Birds a max of one to two hours a day to keep nutrition balanced.
I also get bitter cold winters here, I heat my Coop although it's not that warm inside. The water does ice up so I use rubber livestock bowls on bricks under the heat lamp...I use pine shavings..
I think my lowest temp in my Coop has been -3C and outside temp was -28C with windchill of -35C....Brrrrrrr...:th

Back
Top Bottom