Help! Did I Buy Dud Hens??

SigningChickens

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2013
West Volusia County, FL
Greetings from central Florida!

A month ago at the Barberville Swap I bought 3 hens from a man. One barred rock, one Easter Egger, & one black leghorn.

It has been a freaking month and I haven't gotten one egg. They are in a large horse stall with 2 different nesting boxes (one with a store bought egg placed in it) and all the treats and meal worms any hen could wish for. I also have been giving them scratch in addition to layer crumbles.

Their roommates are 3 young guineas but they all seem to get along fine. The top of the stall is somewhat open so they get sunshine. I'm afraid to free range them until my husband gets a coyote we've had lurking around getting our wild turkeys.

Could this guy have sold me old hens? How would I know? The swap is this Saturday again and I wonder if I should look for him?

Thanks in advance for all of your knowledge!

The move can stress them. Too many treats can hurt production. They could be getting ready to molt if they aren't this springs chicks.

Is the barn lighted? Do they get any outside time?

The barn is very light inside. I'm scared to let them out because we have so many coyotes and owls. We will try to make a run this weekend. This is a temporary coop for us. We have plans for a better coop but I just need my husband to have the time to help.
Maybe I could let them out supervised?

Can you post pics of the other two birds?

The Leghorn is definitely a female, so that's a start
smile.png
. She doesn't look like she's actively molting, but she may have been. She does have a pale comb, which says she's not laying.

I'm thinking they may have been 18 month old birds, hitting the first molt and taking a break for the winter.

Or, they could be young hens, just hitting point of lay, and the move threw them for a loop. A month is pretty long for that, though. Usually 2ish weeks is what it takes for them to get back in the swing of things. Maybe not daily production, but at least something.......

If you're going to the swap, I'd look for the seller and ask him. Were I the seller, I'd want someone to come ask me if they were unsatisfied with my birds.

You can try some supplemental lighting. If they're older birds, that may bring them back into lay. You can research is here, but basically you want to turn the light on earlier and earlier each morning until the birds are getting about 14 hours of daylight.

You can also hold the layer, maybe try a higher protein feed like grower. If they're molting, that may help.

Back
Top Bottom