HELP! Do chicks breath with their beaks open...

georgialee

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
...if they're too warm? I had one doing this the other day and now I just noticed two more. They're acting normal otherwise - no sneezing at all. I don't have a thermometer in the coop, but they're in a laundry room and the heat lamp is keeping the whole room pretty warm. Help!

Last edited:
Sounds like the brooder is too warm. A thermometer is very helpful, right at the level the chicks are staying, and thermometers are pretty cheap. I actually use two, in case one is wrong. I just take the average.

The first week, they need to be about 95 degrees, then you reduce the temperature by 5 degrees per week. Another thing to keep in mind is that some chicks want more heat than others. So put the warmth over one area and have a cooler area they can go to if too warm. They'll let you know, by hanging out in one end or the other.

Yes, they're too hot. If you can't raise your lamp, turn it off. Just make sure you turn it back on as the house cools off at night. The chicks will huddle in piles if they get cold.

Thanks so much!!! I might check for a smaller heat bulb at the pet store as well... my 250watt puts off tons of heat. Off to the store (I'll get a thermometer, too)...

Back
Top Bottom