Help-does this mean no chickens allowed? help with interpreting!!

twinbuzzle

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
hello group!
I am wanting to have some backyard chickens so badly, but I am not sure what this wording in my local ordinances means specifically-- it only refers to housing/building structures for poultry.

I live in New Garden Township PA, on 1.12 acres of land.

here's the code:
http://www.ecode360.com/6212524?highlight=poultry#6212524

legal or illegal???! no where in the ordinances or zoning does it allow or disallow chickens, just meantions the "agricultural building" requirments....am I reaching? coop vs tractor..? still reaching/looking for trouble?

thanks for your input!
elaine

AGRICULTURAL USE, INDOOR
The cultivation of the soil and the raising and harvesting of the products of the soil, or the raising of animals, performed within a structure or structures, including but not limited to mushroom growing, greenhouses, hydroponic gardening, and poultry houses.
AGRICULTURAL USE, OUTDOOR
The cultivation of the soil and the raising and harvesting of the products of the soil done outside a building in the open air, commonly referred to as "crop farming."
AGRICULTURE
The cultivation of the soil and the raising and harvesting of the products of the soil, including but not limited to nurserying, horticulture, forestry, mushroom growing, and the breeding and raising of customary domestic animals, but excluding cats and dogs.

I do see restrictions on area size about a 100 feet each side of the facilities that the chickens would be occupied. I've tried looking under PETS and I don't see anything restricting or even mentioning poultry or chickens as pets. From what I see above agriculture, you are not raising them for meat and personal consumption of eggs. Let me keep digging. If you don't see any more of my messages, then it is because I can not find anything regarding to this matter.

IMO, I think you are OK having chickens because you are more than 100 ft from each side of coop. If you want to be friendly, keep it to a minimum of hens, no roos and keep them in the runs/coop at all times, no free ranging to go over neighbor's side.

Last edited:
yes, thank you for your help!

i had called the township office a few years back and they said no chickens allowed unless you have 5 acres, he wasn't very helpful and was short with me. i thought 5 acres sounded ridiculous, so i went online to read the ordinances and zoning-- and i'm just not quite sure what the wording means exactly. i wish i had a lawyer/legal interpretation, lol. we do have a big poutry building/something-or-other in this township--i think associated w/ the U of Penn...

any input is much appreciated!!!! i boarder kennett square township and their wording is much clearer!! they allow chickens....

elaine

Back
Top Bottom