Help! Dog attack bite wounds *graphic images

Yes! This sounds like sound advice. You don’t want too much humidity/“water” around a wound… It will only keep it too moist, it won’t heal up and will just attract bad bacteria, fungi, etc.

Thing is about wounds tho…(I’m a retired RN) It’s gonna take a lot of your own assessment skills varying on what it is you’re seeing, just trust your gut.Just remember: You want to keep a happy medium —“Not too moist and not too dry”
If you notice that the wound starts to get too dry as it begins to heal, around the edges usually, you can mix a bit of Lavender oil with Coconut oil and dab sparingly. You’ll find it provides easily absorbed moisture, increased blood flow to the tissues and has pain relief qualities too.
I have used Emu oil for keeping severe dog attack wounds on sheep and chickens soft and healing with good success. Antibiotics as a preventative is often advisable with dog or coyote attacks on sheep, and horses and likely is on chickens too. Of course eggs should not be used for a period. I always gave my sheep or horse a tetanus shot as well. Antibiotics might be a life saver if infection begins. saying this, I recently had a rooster survive a bad attack by a bobcat with a couple bad bite wounds with nothing but a washing with surgical soap, and providing vitamins and electrolytes and isolation.

As if you don't already have enough assistants and advisors, I'd like to chime in with what DH and I did for a hen with a much more severe dog bite last year, who recovered perfectly. Her injury was on her back and was so bad I thought we were going to have to put her down. She had a large abrasion (no skin) and a deep hole as big as a quarter at least. I could see her organs! But we washed her thoroughly and trimmed her feathers, and slathered her with original Neosporin. In order not to have to scrub her daily we sprayed her wound with sterile saline twice daily to cleanse the wound, lightly patted her dry, and reapplied the Neosporin. Then we sprayed the area with Veterycin and left her alone. In three weeks she was completely healed. That's all.

As if you don't already have enough assistants and advisors, I'd like to chime in with what DH and I did for a hen with a much more severe dog bite last year, who recovered perfectly. Her injury was on her back and was so bad I thought we were going to have to put her down. She had a large abrasion (no skin) and a deep hole as big as a quarter at least. I could see her organs! But we washed her thoroughly and trimmed her feathers, and slathered her with original Neosporin. In order not to have to scrub her daily we sprayed her wound with sterile saline twice daily to cleanse the wound, lightly patted her dry, and reapplied the Neosporin. Then we sprayed the area with Veterycin and left her alone. In three weeks she was completely healed. That's all.
Did you at any time notice any “hardness” in her back, perhaps along the wound line, in the skin & in her muscles that surrounded her wounds …

Did you at any time notice any “hardness” in her back, perhaps along the wound line, in the skin & in her muscles that surrounded her wounds …
We did not, but we didn't handle her much, other than to treat her wound. I don't know if we would have noticed anyway, as our chickens are not pets and we don't handle them, so we don't know what their "normal" feels like. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom