Help! Dog attack bite wounds *graphic images

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
My chicken was attacked yesterday by a loose Australian shepherd. All we could find were feathers. She came back but has bite wounds on her tail. What do I do, there aren’t vets who see chickens within two hours of us.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 32
Treat like a normal wound, rinse with saline or soapy water, apply wound ointment or spray and monitor
Sorry to bug you, I went by tractor supply to see if there was a different antibiotic I should use besides neosporin. I was advised to soak the wounds in epsom salt to draw out infection and use banixx chixx poultry spray instead of keeping neosporin on it because of our humidity she said we should keep the wound dry. Does this sound like acceptable treatment?

Sorry to bug you, I went by tractor supply to see if there was a different antibiotic I should use besides neosporin. I was advised to soak the wounds in epsom salt to draw out infection and use banixx chixx poultry spray instead of keeping neosporin on it because of our humidity she said we should keep the wound dry. Does this sound like acceptable treatment?
You can just get triple antibiotics ointment from the dollar store, banixx will be fine but it's a bit pricey.
Never heard about the salts, I wouldn't bother, it doesn't sound medically sound.

You can just get triple antibiotics ointment from the dollar store, banixx will be fine but it's a bit pricey.
Never heard about the salts, I wouldn't bother, it doesn't sound medically sound.
Update:

We used antibiotic ointment but when we ran out of the plain we used the one with pain relievers since it was all we had on hand besides bannix. Yesterday we skipped the ointment and used bannixx only because we were worried about her pecking at it and ingesting the pain reliever. We did ointment again today. She’s eating well and taking big solid poos. I’m posting follow up photos to see if you think she’s on track. I’m confused about the blue. My husband thinks it’s bruising.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 20
Yes! This sounds like sound advice. You don’t want too much humidity/“water” around a wound… It will only keep it too moist, it won’t heal up and will just attract bad bacteria, fungi, etc.

Thing is about wounds tho…(I’m a retired RN) It’s gonna take a lot of your own assessment skills varying on what it is you’re seeing, just trust your gut.Just remember: You want to keep a happy medium —“Not too moist and not too dry”
If you notice that the wound starts to get too dry as it begins to heal, around the edges usually, you can mix a bit of Lavender oil with Coconut oil and dab sparingly. You’ll find it provides easily absorbed moisture, increased blood flow to the tissues and has pain relief qualities too.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don’t agree with you. Epsom salts would be great in this situation—
Epsom salt has been used to treat wounds and infections, caution is recommended however, as it could irritate the wound.
— This why I’d alternate between Salts and Mild Soapy water for soaking. Or, just a Simple Saline flush (from the contact lenses asile) without a soak to do in-between soaking procedures. Again. It will take personal judgment on what you see on a daily basis/hourly basis, etc…. There’s no perfect schedule here.

Salts: While it doesn't cure the infection, Epsom salt can be used to draw out the infection and soften the skin to help boost medication effects. — i.e. The Banixxx sound spray

Sorry, I don’t agree with you. Epsom salts would be great in this situation—
Epsom salt has been used to treat wounds and infections, caution is recommended however, as it could irritate the wound.
— This why I’d alternate between Salts and Mild Soapy water for soaking. Or, just a Simple Saline flush (from the contact lenses asile) without a soak to do in-between soaking procedures. Again. It will take personal judgment on what you see on a daily basis/hourly basis, etc…. There’s no perfect schedule here.

Salts: While it doesn't cure the infection, Epsom salt can be used to draw out the infection and soften the skin to help boost medication effects. — i.e. The Banixxx sound spray
I never said anything worth disagreeing with? All I said was sprinkling it with Epsom salts wouldn't cure an infection, which you just confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom