Help! Dog attack bite wounds *graphic images

One of my roosters is currently recovering from a severe bobcat attack that left him tailless, with a skinned back of the head and deep bite wounds on his posterior. He had stiffness for about two weeks in his back skin. It went away without me doing anything. I think it might of been caused by the trauma of the feathers being ripped out of his tail end and the bites. I washed his wounds with surgical soap, and provided vitamins, electrolytes and isolation, nothing more. His wounds were deep punctures. He is doing well and is going to make it fine. If it was hard and dry I would use something like glycerin or emu oil or coconut oil to soften the skin and aid healing. His skin was not dry just stiff.

The hardness feels like what you get when you have a Charlie horse or are really tense and the muscle feels almost rock hard. I will check my other chickens this evening to compare. Everything is else looks really good. I gave her poultry cell in her water on Monday and she chose the clean water to drink instead. I forgot to give it to her after that but I did again this morning. She’s up and trilling. She was very impatient with me interrupting her eating to check her wound. I sprayed with bannixx and let her go. She didn’t seem quite as sensitive when I touched the stiff areas near the wounds. She hasn’t begun laying yet I don’t think. She’s an Easter egg we and we are still getting all the same color eggs we did before from the coop. I’m hoping her body won’t try to lay while she is healing. I was reading a lot on fish amoxicillin last night I guess they are watching it more closely because people are self medicating.

My chicken was attacked yesterday by a loose Australian shepherd. All we could find were feathers. She came back but has bite wounds on her tail. What do I do, there aren’t vets who see chickens within two hours of us.
I’ve tried to msg you on your profile but it keeps saying that your limiting ppl from contacting you… I wanted to talk to you about some Amoxicillin. I have some information for you, if your interested…

I gave her poultry cell in her water on Monday and she chose the clean water to drink instead. I forgot to give it to her after that but I did again this morning.
You can also give Poultry Cell by syringe directly in her mouth.
I believe it’s 1cc-3cc; it will say on the bottle. — You can search up how to give medications to Chickens if you need to, if you haven’t done it before … I’ve seen some good instructional videos on YouTube.

Found a vet that works Saturdays at a clinic nearby that will see chickens. Sage is on antibiotics for the next 10 days and has chicken strength pain reliever for the next two days. She should make a full recovery. Vet bill $95
Bannixx $28
Poultry Cell $23
antibiotic ointment $6
Puppy pads (donated by a concerned neighbor)
Time dedicated to role of chicken nurse 6.5 hours

Cost of chicken $4

🤦🏻‍♀️

Yeah, but ... she's "worth" what she's worth to you, not what you paid for her. I mean ... you basically pay $0 for a human baby, but look what you spend on them over their life time. Right?

Found a vet that works Saturdays at a clinic nearby that will see chickens. Sage is on antibiotics for the next 10 days and has chicken strength pain reliever for the next two days. She should make a full recovery. Vet bill $95
Bannixx $28
Poultry Cell $23
antibiotic ointment $6
Puppy pads (donated by a concerned neighbor)
Time dedicated to role of chicken nurse 6.5 hours

Cost of chicken $4

🤦🏻‍♀️

Awesome news!! I’m sure she’s feeling great now with more better days to come. Bless her!
Very reasonable Vet Bill too … Yay!
♥️♥️♥️

Ps: And…
Special Kudos goes to the “Chicken Nurse” for working so hard for her Girl; she would’ve suffered needlessly otherwise

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom