Help! Dog attack bite wounds *graphic images

I never said anything worth disagreeing with? All I said was sprinkling it with Epsom salts wouldn't cure an infection, which you just confirmed.
Perhaps you were confused as to which part of your reply I was responding to —
Never heard about the salts, I wouldn't bother, it doesn't sound medically sound.
This is where I do not agree 👆🏻
1) — I would actually “bother”, because Epsom Salts could be quite useful with this type of wound, to draw out any infection that could be brewing in there...
2) — There’s plenty of medical verbiage which documents Epsom Salts as a Tried & True remedy for years and years, making it “medically sound”, in my Book…

I do apologize if I’ve upset you in any way…
— Johnna :)

I really appreciate both of your help on this. I’m a bit concerned today because when I was checking the wounds even though the punctures look to me like they are healing and the skin seems to be returning to its usual color the muscles throughout her back and leading down under her tail and towards her vent are all really hard. She has two puncture wounds in her tail that I didn’t see through the feathers until I trimmed them tonight and another under her tail in addition to the large scrape across her back. Everything is scabbed over but there’s almost a tarry consistency to the scabs on her tail which I’m not sure if it is a combination of the ointment caked up with the blood or if it’s something more. Is it normal for the muscles to be so firm after an injury?

I soaked her for maybe 3-5 minutes in epsom salts before washing her wounds with hibicleanse. I sprayed with bannixx on the larger wound areas and only applied ointment to the puncture wounds. I’m just concerned about infection or secondary illnesses.

These are picture after the bathing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 6
I should mention she is eating really well, poops very large solid droppings daily, she digs at the hay in her crate and drinks about 4-6oz of water each day.
I’m so excited to hear about her process, these are all excellent signs!

You mentioned the hardness?
That is concerning and I’m not sure from here. This is the hard part I was talking about, it’ll get difficult to convey certain things over the message boards. It’s gonna take a lot of what you're seeing, that only you can see, and taking that with what your gut is telling you she needs… Keep communicating everything with us here tho, as keeping everyone posted is important, you never know something may trigger someone’s memory about what worked for them in the past about this “hardness”… ! 🤷🏻‍♀️

If it was me, personally. I’d do a longer soak or do her Epsom soaks 2x a day. Try to do 10min.
If she’s fighting you. Lay a bath towel over her body, so just her head is just showing. This will put a little weight on ber body/wings & she may feel more secure.
I’m thinking this could be from the trauma. Her muscles are sore and therefore, tight? — This is my guess without being there to actually see & feel what your speaking of 🫤

It’s not drying skin you’re taking about, is it? If so, rubbing/massaging-in some coconut oil & lavender oil could help tremendously.

There are SO many good things she’s doing. She wouldn’t be having an appetite or drinking well if she had an infection brewing. And, her bowels are moving properly as well. Her breathing must be good as you didn’t say anything bad about that either, so yeah…ALL very, very good things!!

And, you didn’t mention anything bad about the wounds other than this hardness, so there’s no bad smell, no gasey, bubbly discharge, no more strange colors, no heavy bleeding …
ALL reassuring too!

Oh! This does remind me, since she’s lost blood. Chickens don’t have much to spare really, so it might be best to buy some Poultry Cell for her water. I personally LOVE this stuff. It’s perked up several of my birds out of a hard molt, after a nasty respiratory infection, and I also use it for a bit on my baby chicks for a vitamin & mineral boost. — It has “Iron” in it, so it would be wonderful for recent blood loss! It’s the only multi-vitamin/mineral product I’ve found for Chickens that includes Iron … You can get it at Tractor Supply or Amazon ..

Keep up the hard work! You’re doing so well ♥️♥️♥️

Last edited:
She's looking more alert,that's good.
Can you get amoxicillin for fish?
How I wish more Vets were around to treat our Chickens. This is one of those really hard decisions for us laymen. I’m not sure if she needs antibiotics at this point.
I mean, from what she’s describing today, it doesn’t sound like she has a running infection..
Perhaps, empirically? Yes.
I’m not sure, do you think that would be at pet stores?
@RaesChicks <~ Please msg me on my Profile about this.

Back
Top Bottom