Dog Attack(Graphic) Help with Pain/treatment

Amyu8388

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
My big boy Remus was attacked by a dog(some sort of husky) this morning....it was horrible, all caught on my ring camera. My daughter and I went out into the woods following the feathers and by some miracle heard him out there clucking...we kept hollering for him and now he's in the yard kind of sticking to the tree line. He is one of the chickens that is not handled( not because I don't want to but we got him as a 1 yr old and being handled is not his thing). I put out some feed and a little catfood & water and he did come up and eat a little after I walked away. I want to get him in the coop but he won't let me near him and he was actually out there crowing a bit ago(this attack occured about 4 hrs ago). I guess my question is is there anything I can give him for pain? I know I should clean and flush his wounds but I'm not sure that's going to be possible....I'm thinking the best I may be able to do is spray him down in vetyricin, put some electrolytes in his water and give him poultry cell. It's killing me cause I know he's hurting and there's not a lot I can do.

Attachments

• 20240103_114111.jpg
    20240103_114111.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 118
My big boy Remus was attacked by a dog(some sort of husky) this morning....it was horrible, all caught on my ring camera. My daughter and I went out into the woods following the feathers and by some miracle heard him out there clucking...we kept hollering for him and now he's in the yard kind of sticking to the tree line. He is one of the chickens that is not handled( not because I don't want to but we got him as a 1 yr old and being handled is not his thing). I put out some feed and a little catfood & water and he did come up and eat a little after I walked away. I want to get him in the coop but he won't let me near him and he was actually out there crowing a bit ago(this attack occured about 4 hrs ago). I guess my question is is there anything I can give him for pain? I know I should clean and flush his wounds but I'm not sure that's going to be possible....I'm thinking the best I may be able to do is spray him down in vetyricin, put some electrolytes in his water and give him poultry cell. It's killing me cause I know he's hurting and there's not a lot I can do.
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

Are there any open wounds? From the pictures it seems that most of his tail feathers have been pulled off but no wounds.

@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

Are there any open wounds? From the pictures it seems that most of his tail feathers have been pulled off but no wounds.
I can't tell for sure cause he won't let me get close to him, he doesn't appear to be like actively bleeding. I'm thinking he may have some damage under his right wing...when my husband gets home, I'm hoping he can get him and I will try to get some more pics...I do see some blood on his wing feathers

I can't tell for sure cause he won't let me get close to him, he doesn't appear to be like actively bleeding. I'm thinking he may have some damage under his right wing...when my husband gets home, I'm hoping he can get him and I will try to get some more pics...I do see some blood on his wing feathers
When you are able to get him, flush any wounds you see to clean it. The best way to flush it is with lukewarm water or saline. After you've done this, you should pick out any debris that you see in the wound, like leaves, feathers, dirt, etc. with clean and sanitized tweezers. After you clean the wound use some topical treatment to apply to the wounds. You can use Vetericyn, Neosporin, or Wound/Bluekote which will help treat and heal the wounds, or if you don't have those on hand, you can use raw honey or hydrogen peroxide which have antibacterial properties. When you are able to get him, can you send pictures of the wounds? If they are open, you should not put any bandanges on them, just continue doing this procedure. You should also separate him into a quiet place away from your other chickens so he will be able to heal without stress. I hope he will get better! :hugs

When you are able to get him, flush any wounds you see to clean it. The best way to flush it is with lukewarm water or saline. After you've done this, you should pick out any debris that you see in the wound, like leaves, feathers, dirt, etc. with clean and sanitized tweezers. After you clean the wound use some topical treatment to apply to the wounds. You can use Vetericyn, Neosporin, or Wound/Bluekote which will help treat and heal the wounds, or if you don't have those on hand, you can use raw honey or hydrogen peroxide which have antibacterial properties. When you are able to get him, can you send pictures of the wounds? If they are open, you should not put any bandanges on them, just continue doing this procedure. You should also separate him into a quiet place away from your other chickens so he will be able to heal without stress. I hope he will get better! :hugs
Okay, I have vetyricin and Neosporin, do u think I should try to get some antibiotics to prevent infection and if so is there a way to get them without going through a vet?

Okay, I have vetyricin and Neosporin, do u think I should try to get some antibiotics to prevent infection and if so is there a way to get them without going through a vet?
I don't think antibiotics are quite necessary right now, but you can use honey, which has antibacterial properties, on the wound.

I’m so sorry about your situation. I’ve dealt with severe raccoon attacks with ducks who I wasn’t sure was going to make it. Ur biggest life saver is going to be betadine it is fast acting and was LIFE SAVING for my duck who had a very very intense infection from raccoon bites.

If I were you, I would try to catch him and quarantine him. If he gets an infection it’s going to be from outside. I know it seems cruel to catch him against his will but I find that leaving them outside with wounds was recommended as a no from my vet. Here’s what I did to save my duck and I hope it can help your boy!

-Flush with saline solution you can make yourself just make sure it cools down to room temperature
-hydrogen peroxide but only for the first few days and be cautious because it can start killing good bacteria
-vetericyn
-neosporin
-Betadine

I wouldn’t for any oral antibiotics until you see a more internal infection like an abscess. Let me know how your boy is doing and I hope you guys end up ok ❤️ and make whatever decisions seem right for him and you these are just suggestions

The rooster needs treatment. You need to handle him to do it. There is no other way. The sooner you treat his wounds, the less chance you'll be dealing with infection, but punture wounds always must be assumed to be infected.

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.

The rooster needs treatment. You need to handle him to do it. There is no other way. The sooner you treat his wounds, the less chance you'll be dealing with infection, but punture wounds always must be assumed to be infected.

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.
Thank you for the shock step. Super informative. Shock in itself can kill. I had a duck go into shock and wasn’t sure how to treat it there isn’t much online so thank you

Back
Top Bottom