Dog Attack(Graphic) Help with Pain/treatment

Another oral antibiotic can be baytril oral solution you can buy this online on chicken websites. You may find that he won’t eat or is barely eating if you feel he’s lacking severely in nutrients during this time of healing he can take nutri drench which is something I also used. It’s taken orally. All can be administered with a small non-needle syringe

The rooster needs treatment. You need to handle him to do it. There is no other way. The sooner you treat his wounds, the less chance you'll be dealing with infection, but punture wounds always must be assumed to be infected.

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.
Thank you, we now have him in the coop, I'm going out to inspect him, pretty sure he has a pretty deep gash which I'm gonna attempt to flush with saline and coat with Neosporin and then see about getting the antibiotics, thank you for your help

I will try to post some pics and a bit of an update tomorrow when I have light. He is locked up and safe for now...I did get him to eat some scrambled eggs off of a plate I held up to him. The goofball still jumped on his roost, I wish he would just lay in his straw but I'm sure he feels safer up off the ground. I know I'm "supposed" to keep him separate but I have him in the coop with his one hen. I feel it would stress him more to be away from her. She's not bothering him but I will keep a close eye to make sure she's not picking at his wounds. I guess I'm gonna do my best to keep his wounds clean and pray my tough boy pulls through ♥️

Ok, so I was unable to get pics, cause he was so freaked out and I was trying to be quick...I sprayed everything down with vetyricin and he does have a pretty deep gash, I laid a strip of Neosporin in his big wound and put it everywhere else I could manage. He's messing with his feathers back there and picking at stuff...I hate that but not sure there's anyway to stop it. I'm getting amoxicillin tomorrow, from what I've read about dog bites there's a pretty good chance it's infected. My next question is about dosage...he's a pretty big boy, full grown barred rock. Can anyone tell me how much and how often to administer and any special tricks to get it down him?

Give one 250mg capsule in the morning and another in the evening. Pry open the beak and shove the pill in. There is not an animal alive that will obediently open their mouth and accept a pill. Chickens easily swallow a pill since they do not need to chew before swallowing anything.

Give one 250mg capsule in the morning and another in the evening. Pry open the beak and shove the pill in. There is not an animal alive that will obediently open their mouth and accept a pill. Chickens easily swallow a pill since they do not need to chew before swallowing anything.
Alright, will do...thank you

Ok, so I was unable to get pics, cause he was so freaked out and I was trying to be quick...I sprayed everything down with vetyricin and he does have a pretty deep gash, I laid a strip of Neosporin in his big wound and put it everywhere else I could manage. He's messing with his feathers back there and picking at stuff...I hate that but not sure there's anyway to stop it. I'm getting amoxicillin tomorrow, from what I've read about dog bites there's a pretty good chance it's infected. My next question is about dosage...he's a pretty big boy, full grown barred rock. Can anyone tell me how much and how often to administer and any special tricks to get it down him?
I’m currently dealing with a dog attack as well. We are almost a week out now and I’m concerned about secondary infection. Did you get the amox from the site mentioned previously in the thread? I’m having trouble finding it anywhere I can get it quickly myself.

I’m currently dealing with a dog attack as well. We are almost a week out now and I’m concerned about secondary infection. Did you get the amox from the site mentioned previously in the thread? I’m having trouble finding it anywhere I can get it quickly myself.
No, I'm getting some today for myself...cough cough...I don't know what else to do, I can't take him to the vet and I can't wait for something to ship to me...you may have luck going to a fish store/pet store or calling around to some to see if they have the fish-mox or aqua-mox. Sending healing prayers your way❣️

Wanted to provide an update...my big boy is doing well...I had him on a course of amoxicillin for the 7 days following the attack and alternated bluekote and veterycin(still using the veterycin). Most of his feathers have came through, hoping he grows back his beautiful tail(he had just finished a molt when this attack occured). He's not crazy about being confined to the run but I let them out for supervised free ranging most days. He's already started his rooster dance with his hens so I know he's feeling better. I just can't get over how tough and resilient these animals are but at the same time, so fragile. Love my big boy♥️

Attachments

• 20240127_160131.jpg
    20240127_160131.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240127_160001.jpg
    20240127_160001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240127_160118.jpg
    20240127_160118.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom