HELP!!!! Dog attack (RIP, Ivan)

oh poor baby, that is so awful. Keep it moist, so help the granular tissue regrow, I would use some kind of antiseptic that doesn't burn initially, and then just use a saline solution to keep it clean. Don't keep adding disinfecting stuff to it, as it prevents granular tissue regrowth. Maybe google burn treatments...I know he isn't burnt, but it is a similar process to get the tissue to regrow.
Sending some healing thoughts...

Ditto Drumstick If my back looked like that I sure wouldnt want any peroxide on it sorry.A gentle saline soloution maybe.Idione is harsh too I think and i don't use it.Gosh I sure hope he makes it.Main thing keep him warm >I will post other thought's when We get an update.

Silverbird, I will use betadine tomorrow and get a hold of some of that burn stuff, silvadine creme. Mary, the heat lamp isn't too close, and it's not shining directly on him. Thanx. Karen , he will be resting till tomorrow . The bath went well, he seemed not to mind it, and kept his eyes open. I'll bet it felt soothing.

Last year at the same time, his brother got attacked by something. His face was swollen and he had his head feathers ripped out. He had brain injury and walked circles backwards. I nursed him for 4 months, then he died.

I guess that's what happens to great roosters. They do make the sacrifice.
It would be real sad to lose both of them.

Last edited:
OH NO !!! If you have any of the horse wound dressing that is bright yellow...can't think of the name. I used that when my pheasant hen was scalped down to muscle and bone. It worked wonders on the healing. Best Wishes and hope he pulls through.....

Quote:
Zoo, are you thinking of Nitrofurazone?

thumbsup.gif

Bingo............ that's it. Couldn't think of it for the life of me.

If you use silvadine cream Make sure that any woman in child bearing age does NOT touch it....if there is any possability of pregnancy just touching it to apply to the poor rooster could cause damage to the fetus. Make sure you use gloves when you apply it and clean up the gauzes and such!

Ooooo, thanks for the warning on the silvadene creme. I didn't know that.

I guess I have a few options here for cremes and ointments, guess I'll have to see what I find first.

Back
Top Bottom