help dog attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought:

No one expects a pet owner to have 'thousands just laying idle in the bank" and no one is trying to deliberately be mean to anyone in particular about this subject. I personally think it's a great discussion to have and one every pet owner, or potential pet owner, should consider.

However, I do believe an animal deserves to be owned by a person who can afford to get it treatment if it needs it.
Or at the very least to be able to make payments to a vet they've established a relationship with that trusts them to pay their bill.

I had a mare who needed emergency surgery to try and save her life. My vet told me what it would cost and I said do it. The surgery was not successful and I had to put my girl down.
Not only did I lose my mare, but I owed a HUGE vet bill. However, I had known Doc Mike for YEARS and had always paid my bill so it was easy to set up payment arrangements and pay him off little by little. It took me almost a year, but I never missed a payment. This is not to say I could not afford the horse because I didn't have "thousands just laying idle in the bank", it meant that this was an unforeseen, unusual expense that was not in my budget. As the animals owner I was responsible for her health and well being. I had the ability to handle the situation when a vet was required. It means NOT owning an animal unless you can do that, in my humble opinion, because they deserve to have antibiotics, pain medication and proper care when the situation calls for it.

Anyone who knows me knows I would re-home, sell, or give away any animal I could not afford to take care of. It would be hard because I LOVE having animals and taking care of them, but they are solely dependent upon my judgment, so shouldn't I be selfless in making decisions about their health care and well being?

The idea of "thousands lying around" really isn't a bad idea. The way it's phrased makes it sound impossible, but a $1,000 emergency fund is very, very doable for most folks. Yes, even in "this economy". I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program and that's the very first baby step. Get a thousand dollars in the bank, fast as you can. Once you have that emergency fund, it's amazing how many fewer "emergencies" you have. This is not specific for animal care/vet emergencies, it's a general emergency fund.

If more folks would be pro-active about their finances, they wouldn't be in such a mess that a simple vet trip is impossible.

I know, I'm basically letting myself open to lots of folks replying, saying why it's impossible in their specific situation. Well, it's not. Check out his site for info and stories on how folks have managed to get a handle on their finances on unemployment, disability, etc. If your annual income is under $20,000, he advises dropping the emergency fund to $500. It's always possible!

I also totally agree with Chickerdoodle on the cost of vet care. Yes, vets are compassionate folks, but they really deserve to get paid for what they do. I'm in (human) health care and am always amazed at folks who think care should be free, for humans or animals. I know I sure like getting paid!

Last edited:
The idea of "thousands lying around" really isn't a bad idea. The way it's phrased makes it sound impossible, but a $1,000 emergency fund is very, very doable for most folks. Yes, even in "this economy". I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program and that's the very first baby step. Get a thousand dollars in the bank, fast as you can. Once you have that emergency fund, it's amazing how many fewer "emergencies" you have. This is not specific for animal care/vet emergencies, it's a general emergency fund.

If more folks would be pro-active about their finances, they wouldn't be in such a mess that a simple vet trip is impossible.

I know, I'm basically letting myself open to lots of folks replying, saying why it's impossible in their specific situation. Well, it's not. Check out his site for info and stories on how folks have managed to get a handle on their finances on unemployment, disability, etc. If your annual income is under $20,000, he advises dropping the emergency fund to $500. It's always possible!

I also totally agree with Chickerdoodle on the cost of vet care. Yes, vets are compassionate folks, but they really deserve to get paid for what they do. I'm in (human) health care and am always amazed at folks who think care should be free, for humans or animals. I know I sure like getting paid!

I couldn't agree more with you :)

People and their righteous animal ownership speeches. If you can't afford medical bills for an animal then you're the same as most on this planet. I've been a Dog Trainer for many, many years and have heard it all multiple times. I've had to put many species of animal down growing up on a farm and stuff. Sometimes you just have to weigh which option is best for you and your family. Why spend $500 on an animal that most are feeding crappy dog food from the grocery store? Real smart huh? Buy it cheap crap to eat it's entire life but pay crazy medical bills... take advice from those people? Rigggghhhttt.

BTWDon't think it's you? Check your dog food out. Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba etc are junk with nice bags. Look at the ingredients.

If I had a sick/injured animal and the prognosis doesn't look good or is gonna be too expensive, I put the animal down. That simple. Me. No vet because it's my responsibility and Why give someone money to give a dog a shot that kills it. Makes no sense. Lol The reason we invest our time and cash into crops and livestock, is so that we can survive for less or just didn't have that much to begin with anyways. Responsible animal ownership is not paying their vet bills, it's caring for them by providing food, water and safety from predators. Nothing else. What would they have done without you? No animal is in perfect health and nature will take it's course. Just do whatever is within your reach to help an animal be comfortable and that is all someone could ask of you.

Don't let these people judge you, let them keep paying that Vet's huge bills and buying him/her nice houses and cars.
I went to school to become a Vet and changed my mind.

Why is everyone's first response "Vet"?not knowing any better and regurgitating what they've heard or seen on the web.

People and their righteous animal ownership speeches. If you can't afford medical bills for an animal then you're the same as most on this planet. I've been a Dog Trainer for many, many years and have heard it all multiple times. I've had to put many species of animal down growing up on a farm and stuff. Sometimes you just have to weigh which option is best for you and your family. Why spend $500 on an animal that most are feeding crappy dog food from the grocery store? Real smart huh? Buy it cheap crap to eat it's entire life but pay crazy medical bills... take advice from those people? Rigggghhhttt.

BTWDon't think it's you? Check your dog food out. Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba etc are junk with nice bags. Look at the ingredients.

If I had a sick/injured animal and the prognosis doesn't look good or is gonna be too expensive, I put the animal down. That simple. Me. No vet because it's my responsibility and Why give someone money to give a dog a shot that kills it. Makes no sense. Lol The reason we invest our time and cash into crops and livestock, is so that we can survive for less or just didn't have that much to begin with anyways. Responsible animal ownership is not paying their vet bills, it's caring for them by providing food, water and safety from predators. Nothing else. What would they have done without you? No animal is in perfect health and nature will take it's course. Just do whatever is within your reach to help an animal be comfortable and that is all someone could ask of you.

Don't let these people judge you, let them keep paying that Vet's huge bills and buying him/her nice houses and cars.
I went to school to become a Vet and changed my mind.

Why is everyone's first response "Vet"?not knowing any better and regurgitating what they've heard or seen on the web.

Seems like it was a good idea on your part to decide not to follow down the career path of a vet, especially if you think vets make enough money to buy fancy cars and big houses :-/ it also seems like you miss the entire point of vets.

Vets don't only treat animals. They treat people (owners) and they help maintain a healthy and safe society for us to live in. Any vet who believes they treat ONLY animals is sorely mistaken. In fact, the vet pledge used to leave out the whole thing about treating the animals.

Not everyone can put any animal down humanely or for themselves. The cost of euthanasia at the vet is nothing compared to the convenience and peace of mind it gives many people. Many people also want to know what the options are for their pets before they choose euthanasia. Many things these days are treatable and even curable. Again, a small price to pay to make an animal feel better and to keep the owner sane.

If you never bring you animal to a vet , you are doing the entire community a disservice by allowing your animal to potentially carry things like rabies, distemper, FIV, FeLV, etc. if you decide not to treat things that may be infectious, you could potentially cause spread of disease.

For many people, food animal and companion animals are quite different, and it comes down to the owner's feelings about the animal. For food animals, it is more about the economical side of things and animal welfare is not always first. Companion animals can be a whole other ball game. If you see an animal as ONLY dollar signs, then you are NOT like a significant number of other people.

My rule of thumb has always been that I have enough money for basic care/food/etc and enough money/a humane method to end any animal's suffering that is within my care. That said, I've certainly spent plenty of money on my animals. But, I'm certainly not saying that with pride. I've found I've sent some vets on some really nice golf trips (and had the lovely opportunity to hear a vet who did not perform the procedure they were paid to do brag about said golfing) and actually prolonged my pets' suffering at the same time. The ethics involved with spending a large amount of money on things like pet rabbits as opposed to the world and people around me makes me uncomfortable at best. Spending a large amount of money on pets didn't make me a good person or my pets any happier or more loved, just as having more money than the next person isn't a reliable indicator that I am decent, responsible, smart, hard working, etc.

When looking at buying a house, attending college, etc, advice should include a percentage of income to set aside, a concrete dollar amount, etc. These numbers will still differ depending on who is listing them, but they at least allow for people to make assessments and to critically compare advice given. "Don't go to college if you can't afford it" probably isn't going to be the revolutionary statement that ensures that only people who can afford college attend. Likewise, statements that only cover what amount to save miss larger issues about how wealth, money, and political voice operate in various countries, let alone individual circumstances where one can have plenty of money and the suddenly not. These issues are far reaching and are done a great disservice by what amounts to bumper sticker slogans.

Of note, one can never bring their animal to a vet and still vaccinate for things like rabies. Many of the rural folks I know order in and administer vaccines. Farm supply stores and farm catalogues allow for this.

I hope that the OP will return and update on the dog, and that the dog has been responding to the treatment administered by them. Hoping to see more suggestions given that will and can be utilized to treat this dog.

Some states have different laws about vaccinations. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving a rabies shot yourself if that is available to you, as long as people know how to do it properly!

Aye Chicker, education is key in so many thing. Definitely wish all aspects (not just administration steps, but things like immunity research and MDR1 mutations) were a little more widely accessible for pet vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom