Help, double pips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cheezenkwackers, Mar 21, 2018.

1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Today is day 28 for my Khaki Campbell duck eggs (and day 21 for some chickens). Yesterday morning all six duck eggs pipped. This morning it looks like they have just expanded their pip a tiny tiny bit or double pipped (nothing has changed in the last two hours). Three chickens pipped and hatched last night, and a fourth is currently hatching so I know my humidity and temp. are ok. I know ducks take a lot longer to hatch but I am worried the egg shell is too hard. Their mother lays really tough shells that take a good whack to break open. Should I try to open the pip a little?
    IMG_0569 2.jpg

biophiliac likes this.
  2. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Free Ranging

not at this point. My chicken chicks do this too several hours before they start to zip give them some more time. :) if they haven't done anything in 12 hours then think about checking on them.

biophiliac and cheezenkwackers like this.
  3. BlueChai

BlueChai Chirping

Feb 23, 2018
    I would give them 6 hours. If they don't make any progress after that, I'd peel a small amount of shell around their pipping spot and wait. If after a few more hours with no progress and they make less noise, then I help.

biophiliac and cheezenkwackers like this.
  4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Y'all realize it has been over 24 hours since most of them pipped?

biophiliac likes this.
  5. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ducks commonly will make two or three pips before they get going in full zip. And they can mess around for 40+ hours after the first pip. I'd give them a little more time.

And since you left the turner in, please keep a good watch on them. I've seen babies get injured in the turner.

7. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    WVduckchick and biophiliac like this.
  8. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I appreciate all the rest of you as well. This is my third time hatching ducks, I should know to be patient by now. Still, it is hard.

9. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    best wishes on the res of your hatch. :fl

Rose Quartz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: