Help duck egg hatching

Scookmom

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
Had duck egg externally pip last night and have not seen any movement since. Should I be worried? It was very active last night before going to bed then after external pip nothing. I'm worried it could be shrink wrapped. The incubator I got I have to add water for the humidity and I'm afraid that me opening may have caused harm. And then looking at the egg to make sure it's still alive. We found several fertilized eggs at my mother-in-law estate and was trying hard to save them. This is the last one and I am hoping this one will live. We are so new to this that we also learned if one has died and you don't remove it soon it will explode well that happened to us. Haha finally got the smell of death aired out. Should I just wait and see or try to help hatch? I definitely don't want another egg explosion to clean up either.

Ducks are very slow hatchers - it can often take them up to 48 hours from the time of external pip to when they zip, so I wouldn't be worried just yet!

Do you think these are wild ducks? If so, you'll want to make sure you have a wildlife rehabber lined up to take the ducklings if they hatch. That way, they can be raised in such a way that they can be released back into the wild :) Also, depending on your location, it would probably be illegal to keep them anyway. If you're in the US it is for sure, as most duck species are protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Don't want to get in trouble after doing something kind and saving the eggs!

Ducks are very slow hatchers - it can often take them up to 48 hours from the time of external pip to when they zip, so I wouldn't be worried just yet!

Do you think these are wild ducks? If so, you'll want to make sure you have a wildlife rehabber lined up to take the ducklings if they hatch. That way, they can be raised in such a way that they can be released back into the wild :) Also, depending on your location, it would probably be illegal to keep them anyway. If you're in the US it is for sure, as most duck species are protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Don't want to get in trouble after doing something kind and saving the eggs!
Thank you for the response. These are Pekin ducks that my mother-in-law had that we are trying to re-home. She passed away a few months ago. I didn't realize she still had a male duck so eggs were getting fertilized. We have ducks but don't want or need anymore but wanted to see if we could get these babies to hatch and have a chance to live. My mother-in-law would have loved that. At 1st we had the 7 eggs under a heat lamp and tried that way with using a wet towel for the humidity but had a hard time with keeping the temperature right. So I got a small cheap incubator to try and hatch the last 2 eggs that still showed movement and were doing well. But then the 1 we thought was still alive wasn't it had a huge blood spot inside and not clear veins. This last 1 finally externally pipped and we got so excited and then nothing since. I checked this morning and can't see anything different as far as the outside of the shell. I don't want to open up the incubator to get a better look because I'm afraid of doing more harm.

Thank you for the response. These are Pekin ducks that my mother-in-law had that we are trying to re-home. She passed away a few months ago. I didn't realize she still had a male duck so eggs were getting fertilized. We have ducks but don't want or need anymore but wanted to see if we could get these babies to hatch and have a chance to live. My mother-in-law would have loved that. At 1st we had the 7 eggs under a heat lamp and tried that way with using a wet towel for the humidity but had a hard time with keeping the temperature right. So I got a small cheap incubator to try and hatch the last 2 eggs that still showed movement and were doing well. But then the 1 we thought was still alive wasn't it had a huge blood spot inside and not clear veins. This last 1 finally externally pipped and we got so excited and then nothing since. I checked this morning and can't see anything different as far as the outside of the shell. I don't want to open up the incubator to get a better look because I'm afraid of doing more harm

I ended up helping my duckling after 48 hours since external pip. It was first time ever helping and know that most believe not to help but I panicked. I created a post but no one responded. He was breathing and chirping, didn’t see blood or yolk sac. He just seemed tired. Can you please look at this picture and let me know if he looks ok? My anxiety is high and I cannot go back to check till tomorrow since I’m in NYC and we’re remote because of air quality.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm of the "helper" camp, too. It's good that the duckling is still in the bottom of the shell because that should help facilitate the absorption of any remaining yolk. Hopefully, when you can get there to check on him (or her), he'll be fluffy and ready to go into a brooder. :)

I'm of the "helper" camp, too. It's good that the duckling is still in the bottom of the shell because that should help facilitate the absorption of any remaining yolk. Hopefully, when you can get there to check on him (or her), he'll be fluffy and ready to go into a brooder. :)
I’m worried I might have helped too much or hurt him (her) but hoping for the best.

I’m worried I might have helped too much or hurt him (her) but hoping for the best.

He will likely be fine :) They are often very tired after hatching, and as long as you didn't see blood or yolk, you didn't hurt him.

Thank you for the response. These are Pekin ducks that my mother-in-law had that we are trying to re-home. She passed away a few months ago. I didn't realize she still had a male duck so eggs were getting fertilized. We have ducks but don't want or need anymore but wanted to see if we could get these babies to hatch and have a chance to live. My mother-in-law would have loved that. At 1st we had the 7 eggs under a heat lamp and tried that way with using a wet towel for the humidity but had a hard time with keeping the temperature right. So I got a small cheap incubator to try and hatch the last 2 eggs that still showed movement and were doing well. But then the 1 we thought was still alive wasn't it had a huge blood spot inside and not clear veins. This last 1 finally externally pipped and we got so excited and then nothing since. I checked this morning and can't see anything different as far as the outside of the shell. I don't want to open up the incubator to get a better look because I'm afraid of doing more harm.

Any progress yet? Once it's been 48 hours without progress, I start to help. This is my guide to doing so:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom