Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
Two of my ducks were attacked by a raccoon around two weeks ago. Personality wise, they seem great and extremely active. However I’m growing concerned for both of their feet but mainly my smaller Pekin, Fae. He is the most active but his foot is blackening, smells, and doesn’t seem to harbor much movement other than small kicks from his ankle. unfortunately, no vets in my area will do much for poultry considering I live in an urban area.
heres what I’ve been doing
epsom salt soak ten minutes
saline spray
hydrogen peroxide
vetercyn
antibiotic cream
wrapping
I feel like my attempts are fruitless and I do not want to lose my duck to an infection. I’m glad he’s in good spirits But his leg isn’t. It has looked exactly the same since two weeks ago however a bubble began to form so I popped and drained it as suggested by someone else. If you have any suggestions or could even tell me what’s wrong please do tell. In the photos I show his left and right foot

Attachments

• 6BCBDD54-011F-4F0C-B81C-627DC05A58C9.jpeg
    6BCBDD54-011F-4F0C-B81C-627DC05A58C9.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 095163BF-C9FD-4C33-BDE6-C5B05EDA7A60.jpeg
    095163BF-C9FD-4C33-BDE6-C5B05EDA7A60.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4248A4C5-0A24-46B2-A993-2D7324035E79.jpeg
    4248A4C5-0A24-46B2-A993-2D7324035E79.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1E3FFACE-C7F2-47F3-8830-41994FDFA50D.jpeg
    1E3FFACE-C7F2-47F3-8830-41994FDFA50D.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 5
I'm so sorry this happened! From your description, you seem to be doing all you possibly can right now for it. Personally, I would cut out the peroxide, but the saline spray and antibiotic cream, followed by a wrapping, sounds like a good plan.

Are you keeping him inside, with limited movement?

So sorry this happened to your ducks. As @Canadian Wind said, you are doing all you can.

Hydrogen peroxide is good to clean out a fresh dirty wound, but should only be used the once. Salt water soaks are fine after that.

Is a vet a possibility? You duck might improve with a prescription antibiotic

If no veterinarian, you might get Bayatril from:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Last edited:
Two of my ducks were attacked by a raccoon around two weeks ago. Personality wise, they seem great and extremely active. However I’m growing concerned for both of their feet but mainly my smaller Pekin, Fae. He is the most active but his foot is blackening, smells, and doesn’t seem to harbor much movement other than small kicks from his ankle. unfortunately, no vets in my area will do much for poultry considering I live in an urban area.
heres what I’ve been doing
epsom salt soak ten minutes
saline spray
hydrogen peroxide
vetercyn
antibiotic cream
wrapping
I feel like my attempts are fruitless and I do not want to lose my duck to an infection. I’m glad he’s in good spirits But his leg isn’t. It has looked exactly the same since two weeks ago however a bubble began to form so I popped and drained it as suggested by someone else. If you have any suggestions or could even tell me what’s wrong please do tell. In the photos I show his left and right foot
Is there any possibility of frostbite? How was the leg injured? How long has the duck been indoors? When did the blackness develop?

I'm so sorry this happened! From your description, you seem to be doing all you possibly can right now for it. Personally, I would cut out the peroxide, but the saline spray and antibiotic cream, followed by a wrapping, sounds like a good plan.

Are you keeping him inside, with limited movement?
Yes! both of my ducks are kept inside and both can’t walk. They’ve been staying in a box filled with hay that’s cleaned every two to three days

So sorry this happened to your ducks. As @Canadian Wind said, you are doing all you can.

Hydrogen peroxide is good to clean out a fresh dirty wound, but should only be used the once. Salt water soaks are fine after that.

Is a vet a possibility? You duck might improve with a prescription antibiotic

If no veterinarian, you might get Bayatril from:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Thank you for the link of bayatril. sadly no vets in my area do much or anything for poultr, I already talked to a few. I’ll stop using the hydrogen peroxide as I didn’t feel as if it was doing much anymore since there was no bubbling like it did at first.

Is there any possibility of frostbite? How was the leg injured? How long has the duck been indoors? When did the blackness develop?
No possibility For frostbite. Their leg was injured by a raccoon who decided to attack them but. I noticed the blackness maybe 3-4 days after the attack, I was wondering if it was bruising but now it smells and I’m worried that it may be rotting. Ducks have been indoors since the attack. I only let them out for sunshine on a clean blanket

No possibility For frostbite. Their leg was injured by a raccoon who decided to attack them but. I noticed the blackness maybe 3-4 days after the attack, I was wondering if it was bruising but now it smells and I’m worried that it may be rotting. Ducks have been indoors since the attack. I only let them out for sunshine on a clean blanket
Your duck's foot is moving towards gangrene. If you cannot see a vet, please get and use the Bayatril ASAP

A vet should be able to do any amputation required for gangrene humanely.

Good luck, all our good energies are with you and your duck

Back
Top Bottom