Help! Duck lost a foot

I thought she was asking the OP what kind of duck theirs is, lol...

Yes, she is a Call duck... variety is Snowy, and same color/pattern genetics as a Welsh Harlequin... :D ;)

Omg she’s adorable. I just want to hold her and pet her.

As for the OP @blacke, I’m hoping she’ll update soon on how duck is doing and/or what her decision has been. As someone who very much understands interferences, I can understand a bit of a delay in responses so I don’t want to seem impatient. I’m just hoping everything comes out okay in the end. I understand that there’s a plethora of reasons a person can have as to support not wanting to mess with rehabbing a duck and maybe just cull it... but because I’m a sissy, I hope she keeps it and we all come up with awesome prosthetic options. But again, no judgment if she doesn’t (money, time, family needs, flock needs, space, etc. can all be reasonable factors).

Omg she’s adorable. I just want to hold her and pet her.

As for the OP @blacke, I’m hoping she’ll update soon on how duck is doing and/or what her decision has been. As someone who very much understands interferences, I can understand a bit of a delay in responses so I don’t want to seem impatient. I’m just hoping everything comes out okay in the end. I understand that there’s a plethora of reasons a person can have as to support not wanting to mess with rehabbing a duck and maybe just cull it... but because I’m a sissy, I hope she keeps it and we all come up with awesome prosthetic options. But again, no judgment if she doesn’t (money, time, family needs, flock needs, space, etc. can all be reasonable factors).

X2

Well said! :highfive:

Thanks for all the responses. I kept her inside last night to keep an eye on her. The leg doesn’t look very good but my attempts to bandage it just fell off. Because we have dogs in the house I had her in the laundry room but she kept calling to the other ducks. I ended up putting her back in the yard with the others. I figured she could be miserable alone or miserable with her flock. No great choices right now.

Thanks for all the responses. I kept her inside last night to keep an eye on her. The leg doesn’t look very good but my attempts to bandage it just fell off. Because we have dogs in the house I had her in the laundry room but she kept calling to the other ducks. I ended up putting her back in the yard with the others. I figured she could be miserable alone or miserable with her flock. No great choices right now.

Tape the bandage, even if it's over and to her feathers, better to have some feathers come off with the tape than for infection to set into that exposed bone... that goes systemic fast... you could put her in the laundry room with a buddy, might keep her calmer... in the pen with the others she is at high risk of not making it...

Tape the bandage, even if it's over and to her feathers, better to have some feathers come off with the tape than for infection to set into that exposed bone... that goes systemic fast... you could put her in the laundry room with a buddy, might keep her calmer... in the pen with the others she is at high risk of not making it...
Agree. Also, vetwrap is miracle stuff for wrapping stumps.

This is horrific, I’m so sorry. She must have been so scared and in pain. Please do all you can, maybe put another duck in the laundry room with her and give her tons of love and treats. Please keep us posted! Hang in there, you and the little duck.

Back
Top Bottom