Help! Duck with eye shut and funny breathing :(

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her, but sometime there is a psychological factor that can have a big impact on their recovery. Sometimes ducks pine away from loneliness when they are separated from their loved ones. It is very stressful for a duck to be alone.
Is there a way you can keep her closer to the flock? I would hope (and others should weigh in here who may know better) that she would be past the point of contagiousness now that she has been on the antibiotics a few days. I'm not sure that her issue was a contagious situation, but I don't know how to determine this positively. I would guess the other ducks would be showing some symptoms as well because they were with her for a time before you removed her.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her, but sometime there is a psychological factor that can have a big impact on their recovery. Sometimes ducks pine away from loneliness when they are separated from their loved ones. It is very stressful for a duck to be alone.
Is there a way you can keep her closer to the flock? I would hope (and others should weigh in here who may know better) that she would be past the point of contagiousness now that she has been on the antibiotics a few days. I'm not sure that her issue was a contagious situation, but I don't know how to determine this positively. I would guess the other ducks would be showing some symptoms as well because they were with her for a time before you removed her.

We're trying the best we can to get her well. She is doing great.

This is the 2nd day of antibiotics for her, is that too soon for her to go see her friends? They are coming inside the garage tonight because we are suppose to get some very severe weather with gusts up to 50mph. The coop is very open, so the rain/wind will get them wet or will flood it out....There's also big pine trees near it that are likely to fall.

No one else in the coop has been showing signs like she did on Monday when I brought her in the house to take care of her. I've been checking on the flock a lot to make sure they don't have the goopy eyes or is breathing funny.....​

Quote:
Oh I see she is eating something, on first read I thought she wasn't eating anything. With the improvement you are seeing I bet she will be fine keeping her just the way she is. At some point she will get back to her feed, maybe you could mix the fruit and veggies with the feed?

Motley is doing good, but now another duck is sick: Rou the Rouen female....

Went outside to check on them, and noticed she was having a hard time breathing and her nose was clogged with dirt. Put her in the bath for 1/2 hour, dirt got out, but she was still breathing funny. So now she is in the house as well. We are putting everyone (Ducks and Chickens) on the antibiotics and the vitamins/electrolytes tonight.

Oh no! I sure hope they all get better!
sad.png
I was just feeling all good till I read the last post!

I know! Taking care of one duck was running me tired, but now taking care of 2......I'm like dead lol!

Everyone is on antibiotics/ vitamins and electrolytes just as a preventative. May have to go get more tomorrow.

It's weird how one Cauyga and one Rouen got it..they really don't hang out a lot. The cayuga hangs out more with our Pekin female, and she's okay.

The Rouen (Rou) is all clear- I guess we caught her in time. She is back out with the others (all waters have antibiotics and vitamins/electrolytes). Motley the cayuga is still being watched.as she is still breathing funny, I put her in the extra large dog crate so she has more room.

Thanks for all the help! Motley, Rou and I appreciate everything you guys have done for us!

Back
Top Bottom