HELP! Duckling attacked by Rat

Alexmct03

Hatching
Aug 20, 2023
Couple of hours ago i pulled a duckling out of a hole away from grasps of a rat. Bleeding alot, rinced with saline and separated plan to get blue spray asap tomorrow morning. Bleeding slowed but still not stopping no movement or strength In left leg but still alive surprisingly. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated
IMG_2532.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 3
If you can get some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) to mix half with water and rinse the wound to disinfect it, I would. Rinse it off. Infection could be a problem, so I would use some antibiotic ointment twice a day after cleaning the wound. Since I know little about ducklings, I will tag @Miss Lydia for help. Offer sugar water or electrolytes, and some feed, but the little one may be in shock. Do you have others who might need to n
be caged or protected?

Yes get the rest put up so the rat can't come back for another one.

Follow @Eggcessive advise. Keep the wound clean and do you have any Veterycin spray for wounds and infections? I don't believe your suppose to use blue kote on deep wounds but the Veterycin you can spray as often as you want to. I believe applying pressure will stop the bleeding. Poor lil one.

If you can get some chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) to mix half with water and rinse the wound to disinfect it, I would. Rinse it off. Infection could be a problem, so I would use some antibiotic ointment twice a day after cleaning the wound. Since I know little about ducklings, I will tag @Miss Lydia for help. Offer sugar water or electrolytes, and some feed, but the little one may be in shock. Do you have others who might need to n
be caged or protected?
Will do thank you, its sibling is much more established and almost fully feathered all ducks secure tonight and let out during the day keepimg out in open away from risks and plan to get rat asap

Yes get the rest put up so the rat can't come back for another one.

Follow @Eggcessive advise. Keep the wound clean and do you have any Veterycin spray for wounds and infections? I don't believe your suppose to use blue kote on deep wounds but the Veterycin you can spray as often as you want to. I believe applying pressure will stop the bleeding. Poor lil one.
I will see what I can get tomorrow and hope it makes it through the night, thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom