Help!!! Duckling having issues swallowing

@TheCookyChickenLady ,

If she continues to do the motion even after lowering the heat, could you post a video?
Update: She was acting fine for a good 7 hours. I was working( from home) but I checked on them every 30 mins . They were eating and drinking and sleeping normally. I was watching them for the past hour and I noticed something, she was eating and drinking but it looked a little odd. She took very small bites of food and then a drank a bit of water, nowhere as vigorously as the other 2. After that she started making the head motion again, not as pronounced though(I’ll try to post a video of this soon, still trying to figure out exactly how to post on YouTube correctly) . Looked like she was swallowing water but she was doing it for a minute or so. There was also some drips on the underside of the tip of her bill that she did nothing about( is this normal? My other ducks weren’t doing this). What has been the most worrying is that she just right now after I picked her up to try to feel her throat again she drooled at least 5 inches. From what I know this is a sign of dehydration, what do I do? I still don’t know how to open a ducklings bill, how do I do this? Also about the temp, I just raised the lamp but I thought 90 was normal for ducklings? Is it not? They are 3 days old by the way. Please help, I am very worried about her.

here is video.
she took a very small sip(like she has been doing) then tried to eat a piece of fallen feed and when she shook her head a line of mucas/drool was expelled(that is new).

Try moving her onto towels, don't offer any treats just chick feed, and water. If you'd like, you could moisten the feed down with water so she can eat easier. She appears healthy in the video. They can produce a little mucous if they have something stuck in their throat like pine shavings/

Try moving her onto towels, don't offer any treats just chick feed, and water. If you'd like, you could moisten the feed down with water so she can eat easier. She appears healthy in the video. They can produce a little mucous if they have something stuck in their throat like pine shavings/
Thank you! I will move them on to towels. I will try moistening the food. How to I open a duckling bill to see if there is anything in there? If there is how should I go about trying to take it out? I haven’t given any treats and I won’t start until she is better.

Thank you! I will move them on to towels. I will try moistening the food. How to I open a duckling bill to see if there is anything in there? If there is how should I go about trying to take it out? I haven’t given any treats and I won’t start until she is better.

Pick her up, and see if you can pry her bill open with your index finger, and thumb. I'll doubt you'll see anything, but it's worth a try. I would wait until tomorrow morning, and see how she is then. If she's not better by then you may need to buy some red rubber tubing and stick it down her esophagus clear if there is a blockage.

Pick her up, and see if you can pry her bill open with your index finger, and thumb. I'll doubt you'll see anything, but it's worth a try. I would wait until tomorrow morning, and see how she is then. If she's not better by then you may need to buy some red rubber tubing and stick it down her esophagus clear if there is a blockage.
She seems better. I moved them onto towels last evening and changed them again an hour ago(is this sufficient) She has been drinking and eating more. I offered moistened feed in a dish along side regular feed and they all seem to be eating both. I gave them watered down electrolyte water and none of them seem to mind it. I picked her up and tried to open her bill with no avail but I haven’t seen her do the prolonged drinking motion at all today. Do you think the problem resolved? How long should I offer electrolyte water? They seem to enjoy it and they were shipped through mail(picked up yesterday). Also, how long should they stay on towels? Thanks!

She seems better. I moved them onto towels last evening and changed them again an hour ago(is this sufficient) She has been drinking and eating more. I offered moistened feed in a dish along side regular feed and they all seem to be eating both. I gave them watered down electrolyte water and none of them seem to mind it. I picked her up and tried to open her bill with no avail but I haven’t seen her do the prolonged drinking motion at all today. Do you think the problem resolved? How long should I offer electrolyte water? They seem to enjoy it and they were shipped through mail(picked up yesterday). Also, how long should they stay on towels? Thanks!

I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

It sounds like she just had something stuck in her throat, and based off how's she acting now, it appears she got whatever was stuck, down, or out. It might be good to offer her electrolytes, and soupy feed for the next few days since it might have been stressful, and soupy feed will be easier to get down contrary to dry feed.

I would keep her on the towels for a few days/week, sometimes when they're young they don't know feed from the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom