Jaggedbadge123

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
So here’s the story, we have always had chickens and just a couple weals ago we thought to get ducks. And we have been wanting them for a while now so we finally got them. It’s been about two weals and the smallest one seemed to be a little of valence yesterday and we thought it was nothing but today he’s walking all wobbly and all over the place. We gave him some charcoal to help incase he ate poison or something (it’s said that will absorb it) And yes we are keeping him very hydrated. Then we are giving him 10 mg of niacin each day just incase he isn’t getting enough of that, and hand feeding him a handful or two of meal worms. Any idea of what this might be, we checked websites and it said my ducks walking like he’s drunk and how he is spreading his wings but she hasn’t been doing that, just very off balanced and very wobbly. If you see this tomorrow I will be uploading a video, we just wanted him to rest for the night. Please help us any ideas of what it is or to cure it.

Sorry about your duckling, a few questions so the experts here can help you quicker. What are you feeding, what they housed in, what brand niacin are you giving and how are you giving it,, what is the bedding situation and can you post a video and n pics, you can post videos to YouTube or vimeo and copy/paste the link here.

What is she being fed as a whole diet? What kind of niacin supplement is being used, and how is it being administered? What are they being housed on? Could you post a video of the duckling trying to walk? What breed is the duckling?

Sorry about your duckling, a few questions so the experts here can help you quicker. What are you feeding, what they housed in, what brand niacin are you giving and how are you giving it,, what is the bedding situation and can you post a video and n pics, you can post videos to YouTube or vimeo and copy/paste the link here.

For the feeding, I will take a photo of the food bag, then on top of this we feed them meal worms and corn chips, and any left overs we can give them. But we make sure to look up if it’s healthy for them or not. For the feeding, it’s what they told us at the store to buy for them that’s would help the most when we first got them. Any ideas if we should change the feeding bag? We’re starting to run out of it so if we need a different feeding that you know of that could help her that would be great

The housing is about a 4x6 area I’ll send a photo again, we built it originally just for baby fowl that we get and used it for our ducklings we got, and we were hoping to move them from this area to outside to their new home for when they are bigger but then we started to notice this and decided to wait just in case. The bedding is filled with wood chippings and I’ll put a photo of it on my hand to show how big they are

The niacin I’ll send a phot front and back of the bottle, it says 300 mg per pill so we are cutting it in half for 150 mg devolved into one gallon and just letting her drink that whenever she’s thirsty and a little of regular water. We don’t know exactly how much she should be getting, if anyone has any clue. And we are making sure the water is always refreshed and cleaned. If anyone has any ideas to better help on the niacin.

Little heads up- we took her to the vet and the vet said he doesn’t really do ducks but he did notice a little red-ness near the ear and it could be an ear infection. Any ideas on that, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt adding another healing ingredient to her.
The video I’m showing of her wobbling, ofc she doesn’t wobble on camera but more at the end she wobbles a little at least, and she tends to be a lot of balence. Right now she seems ways slower than normal and I believe it’s because she’s tired cuz they were about to go to sleep went I pulled this one out. In the morning when she’s more awake I’ll shoot another video to show what I see daily.
Here’s the link for Vimeo, sorry first time using the app, if you can’t click the link I’ll try to reupload it and figure it more out later

Watch “Untitled” on Vimeo:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 5
The feed you're feeding her is for laying chicken hens. So it lacks several nutrients she needs to stay healthy, especially niacin (B3). It also contains too much calcium, for a bird her size. I would recommend switching her to a feed formulated for ducks specifically, or one for all fowl. Several suitable brands would include Purina Flock Raiser, manna-pro, or Mazuri. Make sure to check the instructions on the back and make sure it can be fed to a bird her age.

It does appear she has some niacin deficient signs going on, and 10mg of niacin a day isn't going to do much. For more information regarding dealing with niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, you can read this link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

What is she being fed as a whole diet? What kind of niacin supplement is being used, and how is it being administered? What are they being housed on? Could you post a video of the duckling trying to walk? What breed is the duckling?

What they mainly eat is this bagged food that I’ll send a photo of and meal worms. But on the side they eat corn chips, and any left over (ofc we make sure it’s healthy and okay for them) as well as fruit.

I’ll resend a photo of the niacin bottomland and we use about 150 mg per gallon of water. And whenever she wants a drink we make sure she drinks that one and whenever we can we clean the bowl out and refresh the water so it’s clean. If you have any idea on the right amount of mg we should be giving her a day That would be awesome

The cage is about 4x6, I cant get a photo of it rn because of how late it is but if you grill up or down there should be a like 7 photos and one of them is the cage and the bedding compared to my hand. The bedding are wood chips. We were going to move the ducks into there new home since they are getting bigger, but then we noticed this and decided to wait it out for a little.

I have a video I took about an hour ago, right before they were going to head to bed so it’s not the best but tomorrow I will reupload it, so you can see how she wobbles during the day time, and what I see. Any ideas on how to help her?..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 2
For the feeding, I will take a photo of the food bag, then on top of this we feed them meal worms and corn chips, and any left overs we can give them. But we make sure to look up if it’s healthy for them or not. For the feeding, it’s what they told us at the store to buy for them that’s would help the most when we first got them. Any ideas if we should change the feeding bag? We’re starting to run out of it so if we need a different feeding that you know of that could help her that would be great

The housing is about a 4x6 area I’ll send a photo again, we built it originally just for baby fowl that we get and used it for our ducklings we got, and we were hoping to move them from this area to outside to their new home for when they are bigger but then we started to notice this and decided to wait just in case. The bedding is filled with wood chippings and I’ll put a photo of it on my hand to show how big they are

The niacin I’ll send a phot front and back of the bottle, it says 300 mg per pill so we are cutting it in half for 150 mg devolved into one gallon and just letting her drink that whenever she’s thirsty and a little of regular water. We don’t know exactly how much she should be getting, if anyone has any clue. And we are making sure the water is always refreshed and cleaned. If anyone has any ideas to better help on the niacin.

Little heads up- we took her to the vet and the vet said he doesn’t really do ducks but he did notice a little red-ness near the ear and it could be an ear infection. Any ideas on that, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt adding another healing ingredient to her.
The video I’m showing of her wobbling, ofc she doesn’t wobble on camera but more at the end she wobbles a little at least, and she tends to be a lot of balence. Right now she seems ways slower than normal and I believe it’s because she’s tired cuz they were about to go to sleep went I pulled this one out. In the morning when she’s more awake I’ll shoot another video to show what I see daily.
Here’s the link for Vimeo, sorry first time using the app, if you can’t click the link I’ll try to reupload it and figure it more out later

That is NOT food for young birds OR ducks. Switch it immediately.

That sounds like the start of niacin
So here’s the story, we have always had chickens and just a couple weals ago we thought to get ducks. And we have been wanting them for a while now so we finally got them. It’s been about two weals and the smallest one seemed to be a little of valence yesterday and we thought it was nothing but today he’s walking all wobbly and all over the place. We gave him some charcoal to help incase he ate poison or something (it’s said that will absorb it) And yes we are keeping him very hydrated. Then we are giving him 10 mg of niacin each day just incase he isn’t getting enough of that, and hand feeding him a handful or two of meal worms. Any idea of what this might be, we checked websites and it said my ducks walking like he’s drunk and how he is spreading his wings but she hasn’t been doing that, just very off balanced and very wobbly. If you see this tomorrow I will be uploading a video, we just wanted him to rest for the night. Please help us any ideas of what it is or to cure it.

from my experience sounds like a niacin deficiency. However with you supplementing thag it should start to ge better. I would check the feed you are giving them. Sometimes starter feeds will do that especially if they are on it too long. Meal worms is good too, personally after rain I’ll go out with a can and get some earth worms for them to peck at as well. Sounds like you’ve caught it early enough where it can be solved rather quickly. I did not have the same luck with one of my ducklings last year, he was fine one morning and that same night he was drowning himself in the creek. We did everything. Suggested but nothing helped. Hope everything works out for you. I wish our little guy had symptoms sooner instead of it happening sofast.

The feed you're feeding her is for laying chicken hens. So it lacks several nutrients she needs to stay healthy, especially niacin (B3). It also contains too much calcium, for a bird her size. I would recommend switching her to a feed formulated for ducks specifically, or one for all fowl. Several suitable brands would include Purina Flock Raiser, manna-pro, or Mazuri. Make sure to check the instructions on the back and make sure it can be fed to a bird her age.

It does appear she has some niacin deficient signs going on, and 10mg of niacin a day isn't going to do much. For more information regarding dealing with niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, you can read this link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Thanks
What you wrote made me really understand it better

Back
Top Bottom