HELP! ducky mahiem!

No.. I was told they wouldn't need it because I let them in a mini run I made for them outside... I thought the lady at tractor supply would steer me in the right direction. Is it too late for me to give them sand? I just puracesed about 400lbs of it to put around their pond once its finished?! I feel really bad now I hope they will be okay
hit.gif

If they are getting outside, and have been noodling around in the dirt, they should be fine. Most ducklings that age (to my knowledge) are kept indoors all the time. Due to weather, mine were in the house for quite a while. So I gave them a tiny bit of grit. Once they were outside nomming in the mud, there was no need to do that.

Did not mean to worry you.

You let them walk on your carpet? I wanna do that. Do they poop on it?

Mine are about the same size right now.
they love running on the carpet! and yes the poop on it. I call them my little pooping machines. if the whether isn't nice enough for them to spend some time in their outdoor run I let em run down here.however we have the pet stain resistant carpet. don't ask it cost an arm and a leg more. but when its back to their cage/ brooder it comes right up with a wet rag. they sound like little t-rexes on the carpet.

If they are getting outside, and have been noodling around in the dirt, they should be fine. Most ducklings that age (to my knowledge) are kept indoors all the time. Due to weather, mine were in the house for quite a while. So I gave them a tiny bit of grit. Once they were outside nomming in the mud, there was no need to do that.

Did not mean to worry you.
when its above 45 I put them out for about an hour with a heat lamp. They seem to be happier when I can let them play in the grass. I keep a close eye on them. and I appreciate the advice! I just wantta ensure they are happy and healthy. are there any treats I can give them that's better nutrition wise?

Put yourself in their feet -- do you like a bunch of strangers thrown in with your new little family? they feel the same . You need to do this slowly as others have said. Everything is so new -- and they always adapt slowly so be thankful and do not panic. Each batch is a little family and it takes time for them to get use to you and all of them. Just keep them warm, safe, fed and watered and they will turn into happy ducks. they may not ever come to you but they will quit being so scared especially if you keep handling them and talking to them. Do not for get bath time for 10 minutes -- your tub will be perfect -- not too deep and take each one out -- call them by name and dry with off gently with a towel . this is the perfect time to get them cleaned up.
If they get a little crazy turn on some classical music and lull them into calm. I have 4 yr old ducks and they still need music. So relax -- it will all get better. they are so PRECIOUS!!!
sassy wren

My ducklings are almost 9 weeks. they still wont let me hold them but dont mind me walking around them. They are poop machines, mine make a "chew spit" sound when they go its pretty funny. I have had them on chick grit since week two because I had chicks on it too. I dont know if its good bad or otherwise but they are doing fine. And the poop does vary on consistency, I just figured it was normal.

when its above 45 I put them out for about an hour with a heat lamp. They seem to be happier when I can let them play in the grass. I keep a close eye on them. and I appreciate the advice! I just wantta ensure they are happy and healthy. are there any treats I can give them that's better nutrition wise?
Mine like dried mealworms.

Mine eat the scratch with the chickens, but they are outside on dirt and I throw grit too, just in case. I need to try canned peas! I like that Idea.

Put yourself in their feet -- do you like a bunch of strangers thrown in with your new little family? they feel the same . You need to do this slowly as others have said. Everything is so new -- and they always adapt slowly so be thankful and do not panic. Each batch is a little family and it takes time for them to get use to you and all of them. Just keep them warm, safe, fed and watered and they will turn into happy ducks. they may not ever come to you but they will quit being so scared especially if you keep handling them and talking to them. Do not for get bath time for 10 minutes -- your tub will be perfect -- not too deep and take each one out -- call them by name and dry with off gently with a towel . this is the perfect time to get them cleaned up.
If they get a little crazy turn on some classical music and lull them into calm. I have 4 yr old ducks and they still need music. So relax -- it will all get better. they are so PRECIOUS!!!
sassy wren
THANKS! I actually saw this post and calmly started singing to them while sitting on the floor and they all came and cuddled up to listen and chill. music and soft melody really does seem to calm them.

Most canned peas have too much salt. I just get a cheap bag of frozen peas and thaw them out in the fridge. I also have an arrangement with the local mini-mart where they call me when they have lettuce that has gotten too wilted to put in their sandwiches.

I didn't realize it, but I was always humming around them- stuff like "Amazing Grace" and other simple tunes. Now they are a year old, and if I start humming around them they come close (not too close!) and settle down in the grass and get very still and calm. Khaki Campbells are among the more skittish of ducks, so normally mine won't come within 4 feet of me, unless I'm humming.

Another treat my ducklings absolutely adored, especially at bath time, was Cheerios. When they were really young, they had to wait for the Cheerios to soak up some water and get soft, but as they got older they would zoom in on them as soon as they hit the water. After they were about a month old, I occasionally bought a batch of feeder guppies from the pet store and threw those into the tub. But I'll warn you- if you have problems 'holding it' when you are laughing really hard, be prepared!

Back
Top Bottom