Help Dying Chick!

Lilmermaid9109

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Please help me, one of my chicks is dying. She is lethargic, has a slight case of pasty butt (which I've kept on top of, cleaning her off). I have feed her some raw egg yolk and water with electrolytes and probiotics in it. I lost another chick earlier this morning, found her dead with her butt pasted over just after I woke up. Please, I just can't lose another one. They are all 3 and 4 days old and this is my first time hatching them myself. I just chafed the beefing and cleaned out waterer and feeder. I don't know what else to do....

Getting them all to drink by dipping beaks into the electrolyte water is best. I would try to get some Poultry NutriDrench which can be given orally, a couple of drops a day, and then giving plain water. Sprinkle chick crumbles around it’s feet on a clean paper towel. Pasty butt may keep happening for the first week, so check them daily. What temperature is your brooder in the warmest spot?

Getting them all to drink by dipping beaks into the electrolyte water is best. I would try to get some Poultry NutriDrench which can be given orally, a couple of drops a day, and then giving plain water. Sprinkle chick crumbles around it’s feet on a clean paper towel. Pasty butt may keep happening for the first week, so check them daily. What temperature is your brooder in the warmest spot?
In the earnest spot

In the warmest spot it ranges between 91 and 93, though that is new. I bumped up the temp recently, and moved the lamp so they have a cooler place. She's still alive, though she has very little energy. I have been feeding her raw egg yolk (which is the only thing I can get her to eat) every few hours and making her drink the treated water. She doesn't want to eat or drink otherwise.
I'll go to Tractor Supply after work today and get a small food dropper and some NutriDrench and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom