Help!! Easter egger really bad idk what it is

I'm afraid that looks like Marek's disease to me. The best you can do is keep her warm and as comfortable as possible and encourage her to take a vitamin supplement and eat an egg or if she is unable/unwilling to eat even with your assistance then it would be kinder to euthanize her as she looks extremely sick.
You might want to consider having a necropsy done if she does die. Some state facilities provide a subsidised service which makes it worth while using. There are lists of state facilities for such here on BYC if that is a route you might want to take.

I'm sorry I can't offer much hope for her. I know how hard it is to care for very sick birds and to make and carry out those difficult end decisions. :hugs

I don't think dear its Marek's some vitamin deficiency mimic like Marek's. Marek's first symptom is paralyzed wing or leg ..curled toes are vitamin deficiency ...

I don't think dear its Marek's some vitamin deficiency mimic like Marek's. Marek's first symptom is paralyzed wing or leg ..curled toes are vitamin deficiency ...

How much personal experience do you have with Marek's disease or are you just going by what you have read?

Marek's can present in a multitude of different ways. The commonest is probably lameness or a dropped wing but it can kill suddenly with no apparent symptoms, it can be as subtle as being unable to control one eyelid or eye pupil and it can suppress the immune system so that infections set in or parasites like coccidia flourish without any paralysis occuring. I was reading a necropsy report the other day where it had suppressed the immune system to the point that the bird asphyxiated from wet pox lesions and mycelium growth in the trachea.

How much personal experience do you have with Marek's disease or are you just going by what you have read?

Marek's can present in a multitude of different ways. The commonest is probably lameness or a dropped wing but it can kill suddenly with no apparent symptoms, it can be as subtle as being unable to control one eyelid or eye pupil and it can suppress the immune system so that infections set in or parasites like coccidia flourish without any paralysis occuring. I was reading a necropsy report the other day where it had suppressed the immune system to the point that the bird asphyxiated from wet pox lesions and mycelium growth in the trachea.
Well that just scared me. Now im sick to think that my flock has Mereks. i had a baby just pass, blood in her poop, but i dont think that was Mereks. I pray she doesnt have Mereks, the neck issue, she cant seem to hold her head up, that is what scares me .

I guess i should just cull my entire herd then. Mereks spreads. So ill, just have to cull and never do chickens again. This is painful, but i dont want it to spread and have others come visit and bring mereks home with them. None of my neighbors seem to have these issues, only me. I give up. Lol

I'm sorry Chicken Kate that your bird is sick. I would not give up quiet yet. Wait & see how she is doing or cull her if she is suffering, but please don't give up on all your birds unless you send her out for a necropsy & it comes back positive for Mereks disease. Even if you have to pay to have the test done it is by far cheaper than losing all your birds & everything you have put in to have birds (coops, runs, watering containers & feed containers) I wish you the best of luck :hugs

I'm sorry Chicken Kate that your bird is sick. I would not give up quiet yet. Wait & see how she is doing or cull her if she is suffering, but please don't give up on all your birds unless you send her out for a necropsy & it comes back positive for Mereks disease. Even if you have to pay to have the test done it is by far cheaper than losing all your birds & everything you have put in to have birds (coops, runs, watering containers & feed containers) I wish you the best of luck :hugs
Thank you so very much. I dont know why, but i keep thinking this is an injury. My other four who she lives with are perfectly fine. I am wondering if she ate a pebble. Something seems...off. Not like shes sick, but more like something else happened. I wish i could explain better. I just put down a silkie that was had a paralized leg, she was also covered with mites and had a very runny nose. The vet said it was not mareks and that everyone will automatically assume it is lol. He said its smart to think that way. I know i shouldnt just give up, but i feel that i should forget about my young birds and start over..maybe..in a year or so. Idk, too scary with Mareks

Back
Top Bottom