HELP! Egg bound?

SurferchickinSB

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 23, 2018
California
There is something wrong with my chicken this evening, she was sitting by herself with a humped up back, quietly blinking and not eating. I checked her crop and it feels empty. I think she may have an egg stuck. I brought her inside and gave her a tums and then let her go inside the coop. I made sure she was up on the roost. A couple of the chickens this evening were pecking at her , so I believe she is sick. I will soak her in warm water in the morning if she is still sick. I am a first time chicken owner, so what else can I do? I am having so many problems with my chickens getting sick! So far I have always been able to correct everything, but every bit of knowledge and help is greatly appreciated!

There is something wrong with my chicken this evening, she was sitting by herself with a humped up back, quietly blinking and not eating. I checked her crop and it feels empty. I think she may have an egg stuck. I brought her inside and gave her a tums and then let her go inside the coop. I made sure she was up on the roost. A couple of the chickens this evening were pecking at her , so I believe she is sick. I will soak her in warm water in the morning if she is still sick. I am a first time chicken owner, so what else can I do? I am having so many problems with my chickens getting sick! So far I have always been able to correct everything, but every bit of knowledge and help is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1568472 View attachment 1568473 Thank you for your reply! I am so happy, I just checked on her and there was a softshell egg on the poop board underneath her! I hope she will not have the big hump on her back in the morning when she is up and walking around.
Glad to see that she was able to pass the soft shelled egg.

Can you tell us more about what you feed your chickens including treats?

I feed them organic layer crumbles, but they don’t eat that much of it, they always want other stuff. I give them a bucket of greens from my garden twice A day and they have a flock block and also I give them about a cup of meal worms a day, also, watermelon, cantaloupe, berries, veggies and fruit from my yard. I give them 2 pans of treats like a little bit of rice or pasta or bread mixed with sprouts and different kinds of seeds. I have oyster shell out for them, but I noticed only a few of them eat it, so I have been making them pancakes that I grind up the egg shells and put them in the pancakes and feed it to them.
I am a first time chicken owner, so what else can I do? I am having so many problems with my chickens getting sick!
This is the reason why you are having some troubles.
Cut out all the extras and make sure they are eating the balance poultry layer crumbles.
While all those goodies sound nice, you are diluting the nutritional content and they are lacking.
Aim for giving 1 treat per day and let that be only 5-10% of their daily intake.

A grown hen depending on breed will eat 1/3 to 1/2 cup of feed per day - think about how small that actually is - if they are eating all that other stuff, then there is no room for their balanced feed.

97B5004B-01E6-4B23-964C-5482E83BA010.jpeg
C8A493D9-8EB7-4E10-A37B-832A1EDEABFD.jpeg
Thank you for your reply! I am so happy, I just checked on her and there was a softshell egg on the poop board underneath her! I hope she will not have the big hump on her back in the morning when she is up and walking around.

This is the reason why you are having some troubles.
Cut out all the extras and make sure they are eating the balance poultry layer crumbles.
While all those goodies sound nice, you are diluting the nutritional content and they are lacking.
Aim for giving 1 treat per day and let that be only 5-10% of their daily intake.

A grown hen depending on breed will eat 1/3 to 1/2 cup of feed per day - think about how small that actually is - if they are eating all that other stuff, then there is no room for their balanced feed.
Sooo very true. I had to really check MYSELF on this.
I’ve cut my treats way back even though I give them quality treats. And guess what....they still interact with me just the same. Too many health issues to kill them with kindness...well really fatty-liver disease or obesity=egg binding. It’s easier to prevent than to treat. For sure

I didn’t think she would eat enough oyster shell, so that is why I broke up the tums and I made her eat them. I have read that calcium can bring on contractions and have them expel the egg. It seemed to work because the egg was on the poop board right away!
TUMS works fine, there was no problem with that. I use those when one is having trouble.

Just make OS available free choice, they will get what they need.

Boost her calcium up soft shell eggs are low on calcium
Give her good layer pallets
How old she is ..
I have eight chickens and they are six months old. They are all different breeds and have been laying for about a month and a half. They lay tons of eggs, six or seven a day. I was thinking maybe they were laying too many eggs and maybe it’s not good for them.

Back
Top Bottom