Help! Egg is crumbling away and chick isn't ready!

Thanks! Here's what we look like now...blood is dry

It's pushing now like it's trying to get out. How do I know if I need to help it or not?

Okay so I wet down the inner membrane because it was turning hard. I'm worried she can't get out due to the membrane being hard. Do I assist?

It's pushing now like it's trying to get out. How do I know if I need to help it or not?

Once all the blood is gone and the chick has absorbed all the yolk it will be ready. It's no harm in it sitting there because it has oxygen to breath and has the yolk to live off of. If you feel like it's ready but not able to get out or its in distress then you have to moisten that inner membrane and make sure there is no more blood. Then you can tear it open and free the chick. I've done quite a few assists and lots of hatches and fortunately I've never had a chick in distress. And I've always erred on the side of caution and gave them as long as possible before opening the membrane and freeing them. As the chick gears up to zip around the shell (in your case there is just the membrane) it will start trying to increase the size of the pip hole and be more active. So he might just be preparing for the final round. There was quite a bit of blood a few hours ago so just be careful. And keep in mind that they can take up to 24 hours after they make their first pip. So he pipped this morning, tomorrow morning would still be in the normal time frame. :fl I will check back first thing in the morning!! Keep that inner membrane moist!! Good luck!! This is a guide to helping the chick out..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Following this thread to see how it ends. My babies are due to hatch on Wednesday. How is the chick doing now???

Back
Top Bottom