HELP EMERGANCY

sophiafur

Chirping
May 22, 2020
My one week old duck ate my sterling silver earring, will he be ok?? i dont care about the earring i only care about his health!

Was the hook attached? If it was, then I would get him to a vet. The hook could tear his intestines. If the hook was not attached, then just give him lots of fluids and he should be able to pass it.

Was the hook attached? If it was, then I would get him to a vet. The hook could tear his intestines. If the hook was not attached, then just give him lots of fluids and he should be able to pass it.
its a stud earring without the back attached

Okay, if there is nothing sharp on it, then he should be fine. Separate him and give him lots of water. Once he has passed it, you can bring him back to the others.

Okay, if there is nothing sharp on it, then he should be fine. Separate him and give him lots of water. Once he has passed it, you can bring him back to the others.
THANKYOU i‘m so please, it has a blunt end like any other stud earrings, i read that micubg food and coconut oil will help? Will the earring stay in his stomach or will he poo it out?

The coconut oil may help. I would watch for any signs of going off food or water, lethargy, or weight loss. When chickens eat metal foreign objects the result can be 'hardware disease'. Without seeing the earring in question, it's hard to say if it could be an issue. The smaller it is, the more likely it will pass. The main concern with a post type earring would be a puncture to the digestive tract, and the grinding of the gizzard. A small object could be rendered non-dangerous by the muscle grinding and grit in the gizzard, but again, hard to say for this particular object, since we don't know what it looks like. Screws, nails, and staples are often the cause of hardware disease. Since it was sterling silver then there is no risk of metal toxicity from zinc or lead, so puncture would be the concern, and infection/sepsis. There are many threads where earrings, ponytail elastics, and all sorts of odd things were swallowed with no apparent issues.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom