Help EMERGENCY

2hot2chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Beaverton
I have 1 chick out who is still attached to his cord and is dragging around a huge piece of shell. At his body where the umbelical cord goes in it looks like its pulling it open every time it struggles. Its very wet almost bloody looking. I have another chick pipped right now. Should I open enough to slip siccors in and free chick So it doesnt pull it open more and risk damage or death? Or do I leave it alone......

I'm just gona do it. Its getting worse and its a very active healthy chick. I don't want it to die for something so stupid and having its guts ripped out the back it a horrible death!
Forgive me!!!! I'm breaking the rules!!!!

Im with you on this one hun..
fl.gif
hope she's ok...

What an adorable picture of your chick in a cup, "Tracy the Chick!"

Good luck on the hatching, crossing our chicken toes all goes well for the 2hot chicken/hatching! We are waiting 2 bantam eggs hatching ourselves, under a little broody Silkie! Anxiously waiting!

Hoping for the best!
jumpy.gif

got 1 happy fluffing up lil fuzzy butt! Resting and seems to be ok.
The other chick died in shell after zipping. I pulled it out this am after I woke up but I was to late. They were also 2 days early..... I hop it gets stronger! I'm gona leave it in there all day today and will take it out tonight and give it some sav-a-chick then put it back for another 24hrs just to make sure its healed up.
fl.gif

Having chicks hatch is almost harder than having my last daughter!!!!
th.gif

haha ya my chick is in almost the identical situation. it was dragging half of it's egg shell around on it's butt connected by the umbilical cord. then the shell fell off, but what looks like the umbilical cord was still there. if i think about it it the umbilical cord looks kinda like poop. considering the fact that my chick hatched 2 days late. it looks ok it's peeping (very loudly and annoyingly) and is roaming a round the whole incubator. i'm not sure if the umbilical cord will come off the chick by itself or if i should cut it or pull it off.

sounds complicated! can you cut it and put a small amount of iodine or similar product on it to keep it from infection? I'm not experienced with this at all - I have eggs hatching naturally right now, but it would be good to know what to do in this situation...

Back
Top Bottom