HELP!! EMERGENCY !!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by felicity5, Oct 28, 2012.

1. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    My Pekin duck is around 7 weeks old and has red eyes. Red eyes like when people are really tired and they have blood shot eyes.
    I recently got conjunctivitis and I'm scared that I have given it to my duck. Is this possible?
    Also if it isnt conjunctivitis has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it?

Thank you !

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You need to take the duckling to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if you can get a vet to look at it. In the meantime, make sure the duckling has plenty of fresh water in which to wash its entire head. If you put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and let it wash in that, it may help, that is just an idea.

There is a product called Veterycin, and I believe one of the forms it comes in is an eye wash. You can find it online and some stores carry it, I think.

4. felicity5

Oct 14, 2012
    Thank you for that.
    Out of curiosity how does the apple cider vinegar help

5. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Vinegar lowers the Ph, and "kills bugs". Acidic water kills yeast's and fungi, and other "bugs" that can affect livestock,poultry, and pets. Just remember moderation. Ph affects the pet also.

6. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm it is possible you shared your conjunctivitus. Bathing the eyes in mild salt water will help but if the duck is truly infected it might need a course of antibiotics from a vet. We can also infect them with cold sores, so no kissing, even ducks!

7. felicity5

Oct 14, 2012
    Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by