Help! Exposed crop due to injury

thirteen wings farms

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
i was walking through my back yard and i noticed a clump of feathers on the ground, i went to check on one of my chickens, rachel, and she was missing a huge chunk of skin. they usually stay inside their run but they had escaped. i isolated her and cleaned the wound a bit when i noticed her crop is completely exposed. i don’t know if it is cut open or not, and i’m going to get first aid supplies as we speak. i’m not sure what to do! any pointers??

The crop was cut open, we glued it together last night but she had re opened it. i put butterfly bandaids over it to keep it as closed as possible. she has not lost a lot of blood. i just wrapped it to keep it clean, i’ll send pictures this afternoon. when i check it again. thank you for asking! she laid an egg this morning too.

Is vet care an option?
I wish it was an option but I'm a minor and I can't get her there because my parents said no. So, I'm doing everything I can and doing a lot of research to treat it. We used superglue to keep it together (after reading about the risks). At this point it is the last option. if all goes well through the night she will get to eat scrambled eggs in the morning. Nothing is infected and I'm checking up on it every few hours to keep it clean.

Yikes, that's gnarly!
Way beyond my experience.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

1603831274014.png

just got home from school, she’s drinking and eating great! she knock d over her scrambled eggs and there is no leakage of water when she drinks. things are looking up.
Great!
When you get a chance, take some more photos. It would be good to get photos every couple of days too just to document and see how she's healing - this will help others in the future they may end up in a similar situation.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. If the crop is cut open, I would suggest suturing or gluing it together. If it is only the skin, depending upon the degree of injury, I would consider lightly suturing it together to cover the crop. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom