HELP!! Eye is bleeding!!!*Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Chickeneer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I came home and noticed something was wrong with one of my drakes eye. It is swollen shut and this yellow/clear goo is coming out as well as blood. Does anyone know what this is? Can I do something to help? Or is it just better If I cull him? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Another one could of pecked his eye.. Take him to the vet ASAP

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Looks like it might need antibiotics. Rural King and Tractor Supply have them so do Pet Stores. Antibiotics for fish or birds would work. Amazon has them also.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It looks like that is tissue. If the eyeball was damaged or ruptured it needs to be removed. His best chance is at the vet.

5. The Chickeneer

There aren't many vets that deal with poultry especially chickens and ducks. I don't want to spend any unnecessary money on him with a vet. I have this stuff that they spray on animals when they get cuts to stop it from getting infected, im just going to spray some of that on there and see if i can wipe off some of the goo. I have him separated right now, he is in his own little pen with food and water.

So this happened because of pecking? I have never had this problem before, Have any of you ever experienced this? I want to know if the swelling will go down within a few days or weeks and if he might be able to see again.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is possible he has had an infection. I don't know how much you are with your ducks, how many you have, etc. So it may have been missed. Or he could have been injured.

I would give him a chance. I would make a gentle saline solution with distilled water and rinse the eye and area around it. There is a Veterycin eye drop you can get, or some use Veterycin spray. Even a cooled, dilute chamomile tea may help.

I would also rub some triple antibiotic around the eye, perhaps try an Epsom salts warm compress, but with no pressure on the eye, just very lightly rest it on the area.

Can you get him into a clean lukewarm bath to give him a chance to wash his head? Does he have access to head washing water?

I need to sign off, I will subscribe to the thread and check tomorrow.

7. The Chickeneer

Well, im trying my best with him. I only have three ducks, and I check on them a lot every single day, so I know that it just happened that afternoon. This morning, all the goo tried and it looked like a pile of crud was over his eye. I got a wet rag and took it off, as well as had to rip some pieces because they were dried on and sticky. He was able to open his eye, and more liquid started coming out, and his eye was behind this red membrane or something. It's hard to describe, I'l post a picture tomoro.

Also, I did spray his eye with Veterycin spray (I got two free bottles at the World Ag Expo this year) By the looks of how he reacted when he opened his eye, I think he can still see through it a little bit, but I am not sure. I had just recently taken out their pond to clean it, so they didn't have any water to swim in, but I'l make sure he has a dish to wash his head.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the update.

Please keep up with the Veterycin spray two, three times a day, as much head washing opportunity as possible, I would dab some triple antibiotic around, not in, the eye (the kind without painkiller,which is toxic to ducks).

9. The Chickeneer

Well, his eye seems to be doing much better. Every day though, his eye is closed because the goo that comes out dries and sticks his eyelids shut. I wipe it every morning with a wet rag to soften the goo, and then remove it and open his eye again, then I spray the Veterycin in. I put a large water pan in there for him to splash his head in. He seems to be doing better, but I think his eyeball is scratched or something, so I dont know if that will heal.

Heres his eye in them morning

[​IMG]

Heres how it looks after I wetten and reopen his eye, and spray it with Veterycin. It definitely seems to be doing much better.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Good job! I'm glad he's doing better and looking better! He could be partially or completely blind in that eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by