Help! EYP and water ballon crop - oral antibiotics?

May 29, 2019
My chicken developed EYP, and I've been treating her with baytril 10 (oral). However, at the onset of EYP her crop swelled up and stopped emptying. It isn't sour crop (yet) as there's no smell, but she's drinking lots of water and it--along with the meds--seem to just be sitting in her crop.

I'm not sure what I can do, if anything to treat her while her system is stopped up. I've given her 2 doses thus far, but I'm scared to add more into her crop since it's not clearing. I'm also worried that, if it does clear, she will get an overdose of baytril.

Any ideas, thought, experience welcome!

My chicken developed EYP, and I've been treating her with baytril 10 (oral). However, at the onset of EYP her crop swelled up and stopped emptying. It isn't sour crop (yet) as there's no smell, but she's drinking lots of water and it--along with the meds--seem to just be sitting in her crop.

I'm not sure what I can do, if anything to treat her while her system is stopped up. I've given her 2 doses thus far, but I'm scared to add more into her crop since it's not clearing. I'm also worried that, if it does clear, she will get an overdose of baytril.

Any ideas, thought, experience welcome!
What are her symptoms, was she diagnosed with EYP by a veterinarian?

Is she pooping? If so, what does that look like? What is her diet, and does she have grit?
Hopefully the experts will be online soon, but the more info the better.

What are her symptoms, was she diagnosed with EYP by a veterinarian?

Is she pooping? If so, what does that look like? What is her diet, and does she have grit?
Hopefully the experts will be online soon, but the more info the better.
She ceased laying for three days and her poop got runnier. She then layed one normal egg followed by a shell-less membrane of egg white. After that, her crop suddenly ballooned--which is always what happens to her when she gets eyp or has a reproductive issue. She's a 4-yr EE prone to reproductive issues due to an overactive system. I actually have to reduce her light every day during laying season to keep her laying only one egg per day. At 1.5 y/o she almost died due to EYP but came back from the brink.

Now her poop is telltale EYP, mostly an ample amount of clearish yellow liquid with small amounts of green fecal matter occasionally. Her color is off, crop won't empty, and she's lethargic. She can walk around and will drink tons but is mostly disinterested in eating. No more eggs or egg material passed.

Last time she was sick (2+ years ago) the same way the vet said reproductive inflammation or impaction is "gumming up her system." It took her a month to recover and for the first week her crop was a balloon, and then doughy.

Back
Top Bottom