Help feeding an injured confined feral rooster please

Hi all. Just thought I'd update on Bruce . He was at my house for about weeks but I couldn't keep him there any longer due to all his crowing. So about a week ago I took him back to the nursery where he stays in a dog crate in a covered area. The only problem is the heat there so I got him a battery operated misting fan for the afternoons. It helps although the mist can get him quite wet. But he seems to like it. It's been so hot here.

As for eating, he was putting on good weight while he was with me as he was in air conditioning and I was constantly trying to get him to eat. But since he has been at the nursery and I'm not around all the time plus it's hot he has lost some of the weight he put on. His leg is a little better but not great yet. He is due for his followup xray so hopefully we will get that this week. He lost interest in eggs and cat food now though it's been several days since I tried so might try it again tomorrow. Loves the dried mealworms and lettuce/greens the most. He does pick at the scratch and wild bird seed I give him and some grapes. Wish he would eat more though.

Last edited:
clap.gif
fl.gif
i hope the x- ray shows he is healing!

When our Speckled Sussex Rooster Limpy broke his leg he went off his food also partly because he was confined after free ranging all the time bar night time. I found he loved eating either frozen or tinned Corn / Sweet corn, Peas, cooked or grated carrot and cold cooked potato, meal worms were also a big fave as was cooked fish or a can of Tuna, he even liked picking over the bones from the roast lamb. Broccoli was also another green that he liked as well as shredded cabbage leaves.

That was 2 yrs ago now and he's got a limp but he free ranges with the rest of the flock and has his 2 hens that stay with him. The other Roosters leave him alone as his brother Big Chick keeps an eye on him. He even manages to do the deed with his 2 hens and has produced me some nice pure bred chicks. he's a bit slower than the other birds but is so laid back we can just walk over n pick him up n carry him if we need to get him back in the coop quickly. He sure is one cool dude and his 2 hens adore him lol.

Back
Top Bottom