Help figuring out what my chicken has

Chickenoreo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
My chicken eats and drinks water mostly at night and her crop ends up getting full but stays in one spot most of the day with her tail down. Her crop is empty in the morning, she’s been moulting for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I put her in warm water and espsom salt for about 20 minutes and she seemed relax but in the morning her poop was green diarrhea. Her poop usually looks normal though. She’s also not laying eggs.

My chicken eats and drinks water mostly at night and her crop ends up getting full but stays in one spot most of the day with her tail down. Her crop is empty in the morning, she’s been moulting for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I put her in warm water and espsom salt for about 20 minutes and she seemed relax but in the morning her poop was green diarrhea. Her poop usually looks normal though. She’s also not laying eggs.
Most times when their molting they won't lay eggs. Molting is harder on some chickens than others and some get diarrhea but that's usually temporary. I've seen some pretty ugly poop coming from my molting hens.

You could try putting vitamins in their water. We use either Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell but any multivitamin for chickens works. Also, if you have a can of tuna in water, drain it and I bet she devours that.

I'd also get some probiotics going, like sugar-free Greek yogurt is one of the best. Hydro Hen in the water, or Save-A-Chick has probiotic packets for the water or ACV w/ mother (apple cider vinegar) 1 TBS/gallon of water, not two days in a row with that and have fresh water avail.

Hopefully, she'll be back to normal soon!

she’s been moulting for a couple of weeks now.
Molting is an awful time in life for many birds and includes behavioral changes including slight withdrawal from normal flock activities and no eggs as all that energy will go towards regrowing feathers. Most return to lay as daylight starts increasing back again.

If the bird drank any of the epsom bath.. it (the magnesium) could cause diarrhea..

Still, these are general statements. The questions asked by the first poster will help determine if there's actually more cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom