Help finding a waterer

lane-h

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
I saw a post were someone made a waterer out of a 5 gallon water bottle and a 5 gallon bucket. The water bottle fits inside the bucket upside down. I tried the search feature for the last 2 days and cant find it.

The second link is the one. Thank you so much. I have been racking my brain for the past 2 days trying to find it.

Does anyone have a few inexpensive ,yet does the job, ideas for a waterer that I need to keep in a small coop? What I need is one that is not galvanized ,holds water with ACV ,and is attached as flush as it can get to a wall.I do not want it too large. I will have another one in the run for daytime access . It stands upright on floor/ground. The waterer needs to be easy access to chicks and owner . I do not want to run any hoses to the waterer. Their food will be in a galvanized feeder in coop attached to a wall for use anytime.I would rather not have to "make" one as no patience and no talent..ZERO.

Last edited:
2 inch PVC pipe 2ft long, elbow and cap. Glue cap to one end, elbow to the other. Fill with water when glue dries stand up with cap end up. Uses vaccum to continuely fill waterer. Lasts about 2 days with my 25 quail.

I have store bought trough like feeder and plastic waterer (jug type screwed into rimmed base). But my chickens only dumped the feed and I hardly ever seen them drinking from the waterer. To me, the rimmed base didn't seem to hold much and would probably be better for young chicks, but I have 3 hens and 1 roo. When I looked around at what I had on hand to use instead, I found 5 qt ice cream buckets with handles. I filled one with water and other about 1/2 full with feed (adding more when needed) and put in their pen. Feed is now eaten and not scattered or dumped and plenty of water easily accessable. Since my chickens are let out during the day to range, I put 2 more with water in the yard so that it's always available to them. These buckets are tall enough to hold more than several days worth yet small enough for the chickens easy access. I've since seen them eat and drink. The buckets are great in that they can't (or haven't yet tried) to get in or on them or poo in it either. I check these every day, and will rinse and refill every week. I may have to find something different when it starts freezing, but for now it works

We have found that using plastic pails you get 25# of screws in works great just like the ice cream buckets- and it is easy on the pocket book too. We also add about 1 tbs of cidar vinegar to the water especially when the colder weather comes or when we have a couple of girls that don't seem to feel good. We all have to watch the pocket book now days. Winter we just use the plastic hanging waters that you can buy in the tractor stores. We have only had one time that the water started to freeze and we bucket the water from the house( warm water for them with the vineagar. We have 2 coops that we run this way, seems to work great

Back
Top Bottom