Help first time duck owner

Jwiese

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2018
I am a new duck owner. I currently have 2 Pekin ducks that are about 4 weeks old. My first issue is that they hate me . I got them just after they were born and I pay as much attention to them as possible (I work during the day). But they run from me every time I clean their cage or feed them. I also tried to introduce them to swimming today. My ducks hate water! I put them in a baby pool and the freaked out and jumped out. They are currently housed inside until they are old enough to go out. Any advise would be helpful.

My ducks are 4 months old and they are finally starting to feel comfortable around me. They even follow me around the yard now. It will take time. Try to remember you look like a big scary monster to them. Kneel down and talk softly to them. Try to stay near them without getting too close. It will take awhile. Treats help too.
With water that might take time for them to get use to too. Maybe give them a smaller source of water to try out. Don't put them in the water just put them near it and give them time to feel comfortable enough to go in.
Try to look at things from their perspective.

Hope this helps!

Treats help, talking to them, and you want them to see you as the source of everything good. So self feeders are not helpful for this. However, they are still young and everything is scary when your on the bottom of the food chain. Once they mature and start laying eggs something clicks in their head and they seem to realize your awesome and follow you around. If one or both are males then sometimes their male hormones can make them dicks too. Good luck!

Treats help. But honestly it just takes time for them to get used to you. Ducks are ALOT slower at gaining trust then chickens are. As far as the water thing. They will swim when you are not around. Also ducks like their food wet. Patients will pay off.

We have nine that are about 6 weeks old. The Pekins are the ones who avoid us when we are in the run. The Rouens will eat peas out of your hand but don't care one way or another most of the time if there is not food involved. The KC's and the Runner will at least check you out to see if there is food. Spend time with them. Don't try to chase them down but talk softly to them. Hand feed them meal worms. Always move slowly when you are around them. Sudden movements even scare our KC's and Runner.

My pekin is more skittish then my buffs(which is not what I have read). Due to my experience I think pekins are more skittish, but are some of the most fun ducks to ever have! Yes time....and treats! I would give treats every day. First just set them in there brooder and talk to them quietly. it may take several days till they eat it, but then you can start feeding them out of your hands! Mine eat out of mine hands all the time! Don't get the idea of them wanting to be picked up or pet(some do, but most don't). As I always tell people change is linked with trust so don't make things different for the ducks day to day....usually stay on the same routine.... What treats are you feeding?

My duckling Blue absolutely despised water! She’d float in it for a second, then sprawl out! We took some treats, peas, and held it under the water; she’d go under, grab them, and slowly started to enjoy the water. She got where she’d splash around and loved it! Sadly, she got injured and is now afraid of swimming! As for being afraid of you, our older ducks warmed up to me around two months. I fed them treats every evening so they’d follow me during the evening, waiting for treats. Now, they’re afraid to go too far from me! Our youngest ducklings, around two months, warmed up around two weeks because Blue was hurt and needed constant handling and helping! Like I said though, our older ducks took two months! Good luck! :)

My pekin is more skittish then my buffs(which is not what I have read). Due to my experience I think pekins are more skittish, but are some of the most fun ducks to ever have! Yes time....and treats! I would give treats every day. First just set them in there brooder and talk to them quietly. it may take several days till they eat it, but then you can start feeding them out of your hands! Mine eat out of mine hands all the time! Don't get the idea of them wanting to be picked up or pet(some do, but most don't). As I always tell people change is linked with trust so don't make things different for the ducks day to day....usually stay on the same routine.... What treats are you feeding?
I’m not exactly sure what to feed as treats. I have giving them corn, soft of course. Even getting them to come for that was difficult. What is irresistible to ducks?

Back
Top Bottom