Help. Fly problem and Keeping chickens cool in AZ Desert??

Pics of your coop would help. Does your flock free range at all or are they in a run?

Fly traps. I like the yellow ones from just about anywhere. Also, some straw will help keep flies down because of poop in the coop. Maybe provide the wet area outside of the coop because heat combined with any humidity trapped inside will only make matters worse and your flock miserable. Something that worked very well for me was a kiddie pool I’d cut down to just a couple inches high that I put a ten pound block of ice in each afternoon. The flock could sip the water as it melted and stand in it to cool off. Cool, damp soil in the shade of a tree where they could catch a breeze was also much appreciated.
I use a lot of straw! At least one bale per month! They love it!

I have a fly problem.
It's getting HOT 🔥 (95°F today in Arizona) and my hens/rooster have a 10x10 coop the floor is just the desert dirt that its built on (no floor bedding).
I have been hosing down the ground with water in there to keep my flock cool, but now have like a bunch of flies in there.
What can I do to keep it fly free and still cool for my chickens?
Hi! High desert SW NM here. I use Timothy grass to keep their little feet sues cool on the sand. Water in a large feed dish with a concrete paver and cool water in the shade. My feathered kids stand on their wet concrete and cool themselves.
Flies…you can still spray with water to encourage flies to breed. I use a non toxic bag trap set up with a jug to make it reusable. I strain out the flies from the water and attractants. My chickens love to eat up the flies. It’s protein and no fat. The smell of the bait water is horrible, but my pleasure comes when the girls crowd around as Domino the roo calls. I have a dedicated strainer and bowl I keep in their run. I pour the water mix back into the set up and collect more flies.
Good chicken raising!
Regards…

Hi! High desert SW NM here. I use Timothy grass to keep their little feet sues cool on the sand. Water in a large feed dish with a concrete paver and cool water in the shade. My feathered kids stand on their wet concrete and cool themselves.
Flies…you can still spray with water to encourage flies to breed. I use a non toxic bag trap set up with a jug to make it reusable. I strain out the flies from the water and attractants. My chickens love to eat up the flies. It’s protein and no fat. The smell of the bait water is horrible, but my pleasure comes when the girls crowd around as Domino the roo calls. I have a dedicated strainer and bowl I keep in their run. I pour the water mix back into the set up and collect more flies.
Good chicken raising!
Regards…
Do you use the "putrescent" bait refills, or do you use a DIY mixture with water, sugar, vinegar, perhaps dish soap?

Do you use the "putrescent" bait refills, or do you use a DIY mixture with water, sugar, vinegar, perhaps dish soap?
I use the putrescence bait refills. One refill will last for a couple of months. It will become too diluted and loose its effectiveness or I may oops! and spill it. I put the trap where we and neighbors don’t get the stench.
I use a bottle with the top cutoff or large enough hole to accommodate the green trap top. I cut away the bag, so there’s less trash waste orI just get the stinky refill packets.

Back
Top Bottom