Help for a newbie to broody hens!

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I've decided to let my broody Barnevelder go for a chance at raising a clutch of chicks. I've done all the research and got almost all the info I need except for one thing. She has one egg underneath her, it's been two days since started setting. She has laid two eggs but before I could accomodate her with a nest, an egg rolled to the catch in the back when she stood up to stretch or something. She might still continue laying eggs so I get a bigger clutch, correct?

If she's been seriously on the nest for 2 days already, she might lay for another day or two... I don't think she'd (or you'd) want hatching to stretch out for several days, so you'll have to wait and see. Most of my broodies didn't act fully broody until there was at least a few eggs in the nest... Of course I've had a few go broody on absolutely nothing. Do you have any other eggs from other hens you could stick under her?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I might just do that so long as I am around soon enough after the egg was laid to stick it under her. Sometimes they will sit in the coop for upwards of 8 hours before I get home.

Back
Top Bottom