Help for a newbie!

Dlighting

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
I have a 4.5 mo pullet, occasionally sneezing. Medicated chick crumble. I still have 'open' windows in my coop and its been 55-60 at night, 70s during day. Run is dirt, grass, sand/dirt for dusting. At this eve's check, shes just standing there, let me walk over and pick her up. Where she normally would have struggled or vocalized, she just gasped. I separated her to a warm area, clean bedding, food and water. She has no discharge or oozing anywhere. She's perching, drinking a little water. No bad smell from her breathing. She possibly is hungry but not really eating, she was eating a bit of mash this morning. Felt around her chest to see if her crop was enlarged, but nothing. She's a little thin -not excessively or bony, but she's young (GL Wyandotte) No visible wounds, vent looks good, but haven't seen her poop yet. I can hear her wheezing ever so slightly when its quiet and she's just breathing. When she would normally vocalize, she gapes, then a few sneezes. She makes small chirping noises every so often- but anything else, she does the gasping thing. She is alert, clear eyed, but tired/lethargic vs her normaly feisty self. Tomorow I'll look closer at the rest to see if anyone else is sneezing, acting sick (I have 13) It went from 85 to 55 deg overnight here in NJ so maybe a cold/URI? What type of supportive care can I give, what else can I look for? Ive searched many threads on this site and it all becomes confusing. Electrolytes, Corid, Tylan50, oregano, garlic... In the AM, I was going to feed her eggs and go to TS in the am to get electrolytes -but what else can I do? I know everyone has different methods, but I'm a newbie and all has been good until this. TIA! 20200920_200542.jpg

Hi there. Yes, there can be some confusing/conflicting information here on BYC, but there are plenty of people able to help as well : ) Also welcome to BYC!

The gaping/wheezing, lethargy, and slight weight loss makes me think she might have gapeworm (or some kind of worm) that might be making her feel ill. Were you able to get a picture of a fresh poop? Did you see any worms?

How is she doing today? I'll bump this post for some more views and tag a few helpful people on BYC:
@aart
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@Kiki

4.5 mo pullet, occasionally sneezing. Medicated chick crumble
Where she normally would have struggled or vocalized, she just gasped.
She possibly is hungry but not really eating, she was eating a bit of mash this morning. Felt around her chest to see if her crop was enlarged, but nothing.
I can hear her wheezing ever so slightly when its quiet and she's just breathing. When she would normally vocalize, she gapes, then a few sneezes. She makes small chirping noises every so often- but anything else, she does the gasping thing
Can you look inside her beak to make sure there's no lesions or canker?
Photos of the poop would be good too.
If you can get a video of her actions that may help - upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying.

Has she been on medicated feed for the whole 4.5 months? I would start transitioning the pullets to unmedicated chick starter or an all flock feed until they begin laying eggs.

Hard to know if she's suffering from respiratory disease or not, but the wheezing, difficulty breathing and sneezing along with chirping noises - I would lean toward that.
Have you added any new birds lately?

If this doesn't clear up, then you can try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

Shes he same this morning, maybe a tad worse. Didn't poop much, just one or two I can see, white and watery. She hasn't eaten. She tries to drink, but when she bows her head, she hardly drinks and gapes. She's sleepy. Pic of poop and I'll try to upload the video of her gaping. He mouth looks more dry than anything else.
All my birds I got as chicks and have been together since day 5, this one is one of my middle 3, I have others, 2 weeks younger and 4 weeks older, but no one is new. All been on medicaded crumble, waiting for one to lay.. just moved them to new coop, been outside now a week. It got cold fast here so I'm wondering URI?
20200921_084934.jpg
No chicken vet, so not sure where to get any Tylan50 or other antibiotic. Open to suggestions.

I ordered the Tylosin from 2 places to see where I can get it from first. I couldn't find it anywhere local without a vet visit. Ill get some electrolytes and keep her warm and separated. Anything else? Her crop is empty, she's not eating. She's trying to drink, but she starts to sneeze and gape. 😔

Poor thing is gasping and not feeling too well. Is there any redness or swelling on the righ side of her beak? The poop looks like there are a lot of urates in it, and she may be dehydrated. I would hold a small scoop or cup up to her beak often to drink. Besides using the Tylosin antibiotic when it comes, I would also worm her, just in case of gapeworm. They are more rare, but I would treat for that as well. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine paste can be purschased at TSC or other feed tsores. Dosage is 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken (or 0.25 ml per pound) given orally for 5 consecutive days. Have you ever seen any mold or wet conditions inside your coop? This is a good method of giving oral medication with a syringe down into the esophagus or you can just give her a tiny bit at a time and let her swallow:
https://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/articles/oral-medication-dosing-of-peafowl/

Wondered about that....more common in warmer climes?

@Dlighting
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2343133
Thanks aart, but im on my phone and it doesn't give me those options. I tried, but I can't find where to update my profile to state where I'm from. I'm in Central NJ.

Back
Top Bottom