I am very sorry that you lost your daughter. Hopefully, your chick will make it. KayTee baby bird feed or grinding some chick starter and mixing with water would be good to try to feed her. Try to get her eating it on her own. Sorry about the predator attack that killed some of your daughterā€™s chickens.

I am very sorry that you lost your daughter. Hopefully, your chick will make it. KayTee baby bird feed or grinding some chick starter and mixing with water would be good to try to feed her. Try to get her eating it on her own. Sorry about the predator attack that killed some of your daughterā€™s chickens.
Yes! Kaytee baby bird formula. Great plan. Saved one last night with that. Or at least gave her the boost she needed. 120% better today after getting that. I just mixed it pretty soupy and fed with a dropper at a pace she set. Worked like a charm!

@White Wolf Bear How is she? I've been under the weather, and am just now feeling better. Hopefully she's doing ok. I was going to suggest the bird formula too, that stuff sure does work miracles sometimes. I'm not sure if she can get it if she isn't in the US tho. I like small amounts of molasses for sickly chicks. It isn't usually enough to cause diarrhea, but gives a great little energy boost. There's lots of good remedies to try to help weak chicks though.
White Wolf Bear, please give us an update as soon as you can. Fingers crossed its a good one. :fl

@White Wolf Bear How is she? I've been under the weather, and am just now feeling better. Hopefully she's doing ok. I was going to suggest the bird formula too, that stuff sure does work miracles sometimes. I'm not sure if she can get it if she isn't in the US tho. I like small amounts of molasses for sickly chicks. It isn't usually enough to cause diarrhea, but gives a great little energy boost. There's lots of good remedies to try to help weak chicks though.
White Wolf Bear, please give us an update as soon as you can. Fingers crossed its a good one. :fl
Oh! That would be a gold use of molasses. Especially if theyā€™re prone to pasting ! Never thought of that. How do you give it? With a dropper? How much for a sickly LF chick? Do you think it gives a better boost than honey if youā€™ve used that? Have you ever found it caused severe diarrhea?

Oh! That would be a gold use of molasses. Especially if theyā€™re prone to pasting ! Never thought of that. How do you give it? With a dropper? How much for a sickly LF chick? Do you think it gives a better boost than honey if youā€™ve used that? Have you ever found it caused severe diarrhea?
It does work great! Though for pasting a little dash of ACV in the water is the best. The pasting will almost always be gone by morning. If you put too much in they won't drink it though. And it has to have the "mother" stuff in it.
For molasses I just get a small drop on my (clean) finger and rub it on the side of the bill. They'll lick it off. Just do it a few times every hour or so. They almost always perk up after a few hours unless they're just too far gone. I don't like using honey, I used it when I first started out and they always died. I tried it probably 4 times. I had a weak one when we were out of honey so I used molasses instead, and it worked really well. So I just use it now. I very rarely have weak chicks die if I get molasses in them in time. Don't overdo it though, once they perk up add electrolytes to the water and stop the molasses. Then if they act weak again start it back up. It will cause diahrrea if given too much, but I've never had it happen. Chicks have very fast metabolisms.

Last edited:
Sheā€™s still hanging in there and took some cooked eggs, honey, and formula! Sheā€™s also had her first real poop! I think sheā€™s going to be ok, Now thatā€™s sheā€™s eaten, finally šŸ’–

Back
Top Bottom