Help for Coccidiosis and Quarantine

I fear it could be too full of germ, or potential coccidia oocists...
If the chicks are healthy enough to start introducing to the older hens, the coop that you've been using for quarantine should be fine. The new chicks may introduce a new strain of coccidia in the new area, but that will come with the chicks anyway. Be ready with Corid (amprolium) to treat, if your older hens show symptoms. They may have already dealt with this strain in their lives and it won't bother them then. Treating coccidia is about building resistance in the chickens, not about eliminating it. If your older hens have had a different strain from the chicks, the chicks may need to be treated again. I know this sounds confusing and scary, but it's not bad, really.

Ok, thanks :)
a new chick had coccidiosis, but i haven't seen symptoms since 22th august.
i fear that introducing the coop with old poops full of coccidia oocists it's more easy for my old chicks to get sick. is it true? :hmm

It is true, in a way. There are several strains of coccidia, if your old hens have not been exposed to the same strain that the chick had, yes, they will likely get sick. So be ready to treat with amprolium if that happens. It will also be a good idea to scrape off all old poop, and hose out the coop if possible, before you move it, but the new chicks will still carry some coccidia. Coccidia is all around, in the ground. The amprolium reduces the amount of coccidia in the chicks gut, so that it has time to build up a natural resistance to it. Your current hens have also likely been exposed to some strain, and built up their own resistance already. It all depends on what strain it is. But it is not a big deal. Chicks are much more susceptible to coccidia so it can kill them quickly. Adults may get sick, and can die if untreated, but you have time to watch for symptoms. Look at their droppings now, to see what is normal for them. If they get loose stool, (even if there is no blood) treat them. If the stool stays normal, and they act normal, then you're good.

thank you, you're very kind :jumpy
I'll be ready for emergencies!
I've just thought that maybe it could be safer disinfect the coop with an antiseptic suitable for protozoa. do you agree? :)

About droppings, i have a question for you (maybe too questions, i know :D)
Sometimes, (even before i have the new chicks) i see my old hens do fluid droppings, but they are ok, they stays normal, thay eat normally etc etc. So i think it can be the warm season or other reasons that aren't alarming given that they continue to be ok.
Therefore, in the intermingling phase i should observe droppings, yes, but mainly the behaviour (looking for lack of appetite, lethargy and so on)..is it right?
I'm sorry if i'm annoying:D but it's the first time that i have new chicks to add in my flock and i'm so stressed! :oops::fl

You are not annoying. This is how we all learn, and in turn, you can help a newbie one day. You can disinfect the coop if it makes you feel better, but parasite eggs are pretty impervious to most everything. That's how they survive in the soil for so long. If the chicks come down with a respiratory disease or similar, then disinfectant could help, but that's a whole different ballgame. Hopefully, they won't, and that's why we quarantine, after all.

Sometimes, (even before i have the new chicks) i see my old hens do fluid droppings, but they are ok, they stays normal, thay eat normally etc etc. So i think it can be the warm season or other reasons that aren't alarming given that they continue to be ok.
Sorry, forgot to answer this one. They can get loose dropping in warm weather, from drinking more water. Eating a lot of fruit or new foods can cause it, too. So can worms, although they can have worms and have perfect stools too. If it just happens once in a while, and then they go back to normal stool, and all else is normal, it's not something I would get too worked up about.

Thank you very much :wee

You are not annoying. This is how we all learn, and in turn, you can help a newbie one day. You can disinfect the coop if it makes you feel better, but parasite eggs are pretty impervious to most everything. That's how they survive in the soil for so long. If the chicks come down with a respiratory disease or similar, then disinfectant could help, but that's a whole different ballgame. Hopefully, they won't, and that's why we quarantine, after all.

In your opinion i 'd better if i use a new refuge?

Maybe for today i finished the questions :D:D

In your opinion i 'd better if i use a new refuge?
No need, and a waste of money, IMO. If they get sick with any thing else, you probably won't want to combine flocks, depending on what it is. I also have new kids in quarantine, and I will use their quarantine coop as an introduction, look but don't touch coop, as it has a small attached run. I'll just move the whole thing down to the chicken yard.

Ok, thing are clearer now! :)
So when your kids will finish the "look don't touch" period, your current hens will walk on the same soil in witch kids passed the "look don't touch", right? and it's the same for my situation, too? ;)

only for understand better, have a good day :frow

Back
Top Bottom