Help for Coccidiosis and Quarantine

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi Everyone,
i bought two new black chickens one month ago and i put them in quarantine with other two silkie chickens bought in the same occasion, they are distant 50m from my 6-years-old chickens. (so there are two groups of chickens: quarantine and chickencoop)

Well, on 15th of August i see that one of the new black chickens did red and gelatinous poops, and she had lethargy and she didn't eat. So, i feared it could be Coccidiosis and i moved her far from the other chickens in quarantine. I treated her with garlic and Cofuran (a dietary supplement). After two or three days, symptoms disappeared and she seemed to feel better, so on 22th of August i put her back with the other chickens in quarantine.
I'm not seeing other cues of coccidiosis at the moment. So, I'd like to know:
How many days should pass from the moment when symptoms disappear to the end of quarantine (and union with my 6-years-old chickens) in order not to spread any disease?

Hi Everyone,
i bought two new black chickens one month ago and i put them in quarantine with other two silkie chickens bought in the same occasion, they are distant 50m from my 6-years-old chickens. (so there are two groups of chickens: quarantine and chickencoop)

Well, on 15th of August i see that one of the new black chickens did red and gelatinous poops, and she had lethargy and she didn't eat. So, i feared it could be Coccidiosis and i moved her far from the other chickens in quarantine. I treated her with garlic and Cofuran (a dietary supplement). After two or three days, symptoms disappeared and she seemed to feel better, so on 22th of August i put her back with the other chickens in quarantine.
I'm not seeing other cues of coccidiosis at the moment. So, I'd like to know:
How many days should pass from the moment when symptoms disappear to the end of quarantine (and union with my 6-years-old chickens) in order not to spread any disease?
Coccidia oocysts exist in the guts of all backyard chickens and in the soil. There are different strains in different locations. Chickens become acclimated to the strains they are regularly exposed to.
Coccidiosis occurs when there is an overabundance of oocysts in the soil that then invade the chicken OR a chicken is exposed to a new strain.
Quarantining will not stop each sub-flock from exposing the other to the strains they are carrying. Your best bet for introduction is to do the normal "look don't touch" set up for a couple of weeks then allow the groups to intermingle in a very large area. Keeping bedding and litter as dry as possible will help prevent an overload of oocysts as each group gets exposed to the other groups coccidia strains and develops resistance. It is always a good idea to have a coccidistat on hand when introducing new birds.
I keep Amprolium on hand.

Thanks very much Dobie :):):):)
so
- i should separate new and old chicks only with a mesh, right?
- should i change gloves from a subflock to the other?
- are 100m^2 sufficient for final intermingle?
- after i intermingle the groups, when i think "ok, all goes well" ? :D

excuse me for bad english :gig

Thanks very much Dobie :):):):)
so
- i should separate new and old chicks only with a mesh, right?
- should i change gloves from a subflock to the other?
- are 100m^2 sufficient for final intermingle?
- after i intermingle the groups, when i think "ok, all goes well" ? :D

excuse me for bad english :gig

I thought you had 4 new silkies and then 6 year old chickens?
How many and what breed are the 6 year old chickens?
How large is your coop and how much roosting space do you have?
Overall, I'd say 100 sq m sounds like enough room if you don't have too many hens. I would add perches and obstacles to hide behind so the chicks can get out of sight of the older chickens. You will also want multiple feeders spread out around the area and more than one water station.
A very large crate or other confinement where the chickens can see each other will work. Ideally, the newcomers will have a place to roost for the night separate from the others.
Once you enter this phase of introduction, you will no longer use gloves.
Once they start intermingling, you need to let the birds tell you when they are ready to join together.
When I combined 3 new pullets with my existing flock of 8 pullets and a cockerel, the new girls returned to their coop every night after all the birds intermingled in a 1/3 acre pen for the day.
After 6 nights of this, they decided they were going to roost in the main coop with the rest of the flock and that was that.

Thanks a lot. ;);)
I have in quarantine
- two young black laying chickens (i don't know if this word is correct for chicken that does lot of eggs) (i don't know the breed, i think they're hybrid). they are 4-5 months old
- a silkie rooster and a silkie chicken (6-7 months)

and in the normal flock
- three Isa brown 6 years old
------------------------------------------------------------
The flock is organized in this way:
a 20 sq m place with the night refuge (1m * 1,5m), water, feeders, sun and shadow by a big tree

separated by a door (the door is made with mesh) from

an 80 sq m place

So, please tell me if this is a good idea :)

Now old chickens are in the smaller place.
I put a new refuge in the larger place (80mq), i add water and feeders and i put the new chicks there for 2 weeks. I put some obstacles in addition to the mesh in order to create some places where they see old chickens and places where they don't see them.
Then, after 2 weeks, i open the door and let old chicks intermingle with new chicks (and i let new chicks decide when they want sleep with old chicks)
is it right? is it sufficient to make the "soft exposition"? :)

Thanks a lot. ;);)
I have in quarantine
- two young black laying chickens (i don't know if this word is correct for chicken that does lot of eggs) (i don't know the breed, i think they're hybrid). they are 4-5 months old
- a silkie rooster and a silkie chicken (6-7 months)

and in the normal flock
- three Isa brown 6 years old
------------------------------------------------------------
The flock is organized in this way:
a 20 sq m place with the night refuge (1m * 1,5m), water, feeders, sun and shadow by a big tree

separated by a door (the door is made with mesh) from

an 80 sq m place

So, please tell me if this is a good idea :)

I put a new refuge in the larger place (80mq), i add water and feeders and i put the new chicks there for 2 weeks. I put some obstacles in addition to the mesh in order to create some places where they see old chickens and places where they don't see them.
Then, after 2 weeks, i open the door and let old chicks intermingle with new chicks (and i let new chicks decide when they want sleep with old chicks)
Yes, I think this is the best you can do.
You may find your coop is a little tight. But you'll have to see how it goes. Good luck!

That sounds good, the only thing is it may take more than 2 weeks, or less. Observe the chickens, and let their behavior be your guide, rather than just going by how long they've been in there. The older ones will likely be the aggressors, if any. Wait until they are ignoring the young ones. It took a month for me, when I introduced a new hen to my existing flock. She was an adult too, though, and the girls saw her as more of a threat than younger ones might be. Every flock is different. Go with watching them, something we love to do anyway, right?

Thank you townchicks, i'll watch and watch and watch them :):)
i can stay in front of my chickens and watch them for hours :love:love fortunately i'm not the one :highfive:;)

@DobieLover @townchicks
Uh, I have another question :D:D
New chicks have slept since 16th of July in a refuge. Should I use that refuge for the 2 weeks "look don't touch" phase? I fear it could be too full of germ, or potential coccidia oocists...

Yes or no? :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom