Help for starting out

bee_wrangler

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all. My wife, kids and I just got our first house and its in the country. We would like to get a few chickens and goats to start out and then take it from there. I have been around farms and animals all my life but never had one so I could use some help. I am in Canada so I am looking for a good egg laying breed that will winter well. Also hearty against disease... so in other words a chicken perfect for a beginner. We would be looking at a half dozen to start with. Any info you think I could use would be great!

welcome-byc.gif

I have Barred rocks, and I got an egg a day from each hen last winter. Sexlinks are also great layers, and winter well. Where in Canada are you? Up north temps are alot colder than down south Canadian winter temps.

welcome-byc.gif
:welcome As a relative newbie (got our first chickens in March), I can't call myself an expert by any means. I can say, however, that I've gotten a ton of very good advice from this site and all the BYC'ers involved - a HUGE thank you, BTW. We have grandchildren and locals that like to stop out to see our horses and other animals, so I knew I wanted chickens that would be pleasant to be around. I had wanted silkies for a few years, just because I think they're adorable.....and they are. When I looked to expand my flock, I chose Buff Orpingtons for personality as well as dual-purpose (meat and eggs). I had looked at Easter Eggers too, but they just didn't make me go "oooooh, I want those". BO's are sturdy, and mine are pleasant to sit in the grass with as well as entertaining to watch. My silkies are cute fluffy butts with personalities and supply me with eggs as well (when they're not broody). Silkies and BO's are a good choice for this beginner.
By the way.....my BO's are 19 weeks and I just got my first egg about an hour ago!!! I'll post pics and a note separately.
Oh, and I hope you have as much fun on your journey as I've had so far!
wee.gif

I'm very new to the chicken world, but the guy at our local feed store is older and has always been very helpful. I"ve also noticed the prices are cheaper on everything I've priced than the TSC.. So my suggestion ask a nighbour (with livestock) which feedstore they like. Then go in M-F 9-5 kind've thing to get the person who works there full time

I got Buff Orpingtons, because they are heavy feathered for cold winters and they are good layers n cold winters. They are large birds good for laying and eating.

Back
Top Bottom