Help! Fox attack!

Tumbleweed

Chirping
13 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Middleville MI
My 7 month old Wyandotte/Australorp hen was attacked and bitten by a fox yesterday afternoon. I cleansed the bite wound with a betadine and warm h2o solution and brought her inside. The wound looks like 2 tears from canine teeth, but not gaping wounds just sliced. I got an oral antibiotic this morning from the vet and soaked the wound again. I’ll continue to do that a few times a day. My concern is that her crop is enlarged and hard and I know she hasn’t eaten much if anything since the attack. She isn’t relaxing either. Just standing there. I know she could have internal injuries but the crop is what’s concerning me now.

My 7 month old Wyandotte/Australorp hen was attacked and bitten by a fox yesterday afternoon. I cleansed the bite wound with a betadine and warm h2o solution and brought her inside. The wound looks like 2 tears from canine teeth, but not gaping wounds just sliced. I got an oral antibiotic this morning from the vet and soaked the wound again. I’ll continue to do that a few times a day. My concern is that her crop is enlarged and hard and I know she hasn’t eaten much if anything since the attack. She isn’t relaxing either. Just standing there. I know she could have internal injuries but the crop is what’s concerning me now.
Can you post some photos?
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Is she able to poop? What does it look like?
Can/will she drink?

If her crop is enlarged and hard, then it may be impacted or she may have a blockage somewhere. I hope she doesn't have any internal injuries, but internal swelling/inflammation could be contributing to the crop issue.
Massage the crop, do you feel anything in there that might be a wad of grass, straw, ball of food, etc.? If she were mine I would start with giving her 1teaspoon of coconut oil (refrigerate it to harden, then break up into little pieces, see if she will just eat it). If you have no coconut oil, then give her olive oil, careful she doesn't aspirate.

Once the she has the oil, then massage the crop again, see if you can start breaking up what's in there. Hopefully this will help get things moving. If it's caused by internal injuries, then a reduction in swelling and healing must take place in order for it to start to empty.

Just curiosity, what antibiotic did your vet prescribe?

Report back and let us know how she is doing. Even if she is not eating at the moment, she does need to stay hydrated.

Can you post some photos?
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Is she able to poop? What does it look like?
Can/will she drink?

If her crop is enlarged and hard, then it may be impacted or she may have a blockage somewhere. I hope she doesn't have any internal injuries, but internal swelling/inflammation could be contributing to the crop issue.
Massage the crop, do you feel anything in there that might be a wad of grass, straw, ball of food, etc.? If she were mine I would start with giving her 1teaspoon of coconut oil (refrigerate it to harden, then break up into little pieces, see if she will just eat it). If you have no coconut oil, then give her olive oil, careful she doesn't aspirate.

Once the she has the oil, then massage the crop again, see if you can start breaking up what's in there. Hopefully this will help get things moving. If it's caused by internal injuries, then a reduction in swelling and healing must take place in order for it to start to empty.

Just curiosity, what antibiotic did your vet prescribe?

Report back and let us know how she is doing. Even if she is not eating at the moment, she does need to stay hydrated.

Thanks for replying. The vet prescribed Clavamox as he said it’s best for fighting bacteria from fox’s mouth. She has pooped quite a bit and it seems fairly normal. I don’t think she’s drinking much but I did get her take some water from a syringe and am going to offer her more when I’m done replying. Her crop is hard and I can’t feel anything specific. I did massage it and she relaxes when I do that. I’ll try the coconut oil and massage again. Thanks so much! I’ll keep you posted!

Very sorry to let you know that my little hen just passed away. I think she must’ve had internal injuries and the enlarged crop was somehow due to that. She was one of six chicks that was hatched here with some eggs a friend gave me and my broody hen. Although they’re all beautiful birds, she was my favorite since she’d let me hold her. Rest In Peace, Billie girl.

Very sorry to let you know that my little hen just passed away. I think she must’ve had internal injuries and the enlarged crop was somehow due to that. She was one of six chicks that was hatched here with some eggs a friend gave me and my broody hen. Although they’re all beautiful birds, she was my favorite since she’d let me hold her. Rest In Peace, Billie girl.
So sorry to hear you lost your baby. :hugs

I'm so very sorry to hear about Billie:hugs

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the thread with additional information and letting us know that she didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom