Help! Fox...staring at my chickens !! Hot wire, hardware cloth apron or ?

My preferred method of dealing with disrespectful foxes and coyotes:
1642980061666.png

If you don't prefer this method (Close neighbors, kids, dogs and so forth) use electric wire around your coop combine with underground wire skirt. I don't like to see wild carnivores hanging around my coops during the day and I expect them to run when they see me. If they don't I put the rifle to use.

If I understood OP’s need it isnt about the coop or the small run. It is about the extended run. It is why I responded, as I have something similar - a predator proof coop and small run and then an extended run which is not fully Fort Knox but hopefully OK during the day.
When I say predator proof I don’t count bears as all bets are off with a determined bear. It is why I hot-wired my coop in the hope of discouraging bear.

Yup that’s the kind of thing.
I am sorry I don’t know the difference between the ones you are looking at.
I went with this one (and I know some other BYC have the same).
https://kencove.com/fence/Electric+Netting+10/40/3½_detail_NSPCG.php
Premier 1 Supply also has them but a bit pricier. I find both companies knowledgeable and responsive and willing to answer dumb questions over the phone.
Remember you will need a fence energizer. I got a solar one. I was a bit intimidated by it because it seemed very complicated - but actually it was very easy to set up. I hot wired my actual coop with regular wire before expanding to the run.
I got my energizer from Premier One. I don’t remember the model but could probably dig it out (or just look at it in the morning).
I went with a 40” high fence. A fox can clean jump 3’ and climb much higher. So theoretically a fox could get over this without being zapped if they jumped and then climed and weren’t touching the ground when they were climbing.
In practice I have seen foxes ‘investigate’ first and they get their noses zapped and stay away. In fact I think they can tell it is on (it does make a sound) and don’t come near.
Did you use two different energizers or can you work off of one if the electric fence is in the same proximity as the electrical wire for the run?

Oh I should clarify, this is all for a run during the day. Mine get locked in to the predator proof Chicken Palace which has a smaller run every night.
The fence is to allow them to sort of free range in a bigger area of the yard during the day and mostly when we are around and about.
Exactly what we are looking for - day run only.

Thanks for the info - we'll check it out.

A fox will hunt 27/7 when they have kits to care for. Set a trap and take a shot if you see it. They don’t go away, they watch and wait. At the very least, you need to run an apron around the entire exterior fence. Good luck

As someone who lost whole flock to bobcat 2 winters ago, I highly recommend hot wire.
Question:
- will a fox dig or rip the chicken wire in broad day light? how fast can they dig?
can't say about chickens "our" bobcat climbed 10ft fence
- is there any alarm system that will scare the fox when they touch the fence?
it would be hard to implement unless you want to run the signaling wires along the fence to be tripped. And than the fox will likely get used to sound of alarm after finding there is no harm in it.
- will hot wire the entire extended yard keep the fox out? Is it safe for human?
safe (the proper ones that send short impulse every second), but very unpleasant. Not sure how somebody with a heart condition would react. The charges come in different power for different animals and fence lengths. *Assuming* the fox gets shocked, it will keep that fox out for a long time if not forever, and giving they are territorial there probably not that many to teach.
if so, what height? how many strands? what to do with the gate?
we have 4 strands - 2 at the edge of hardware cloth where the large cell fencing begins, one at the middle, one at the top. The middle and top for climbers that could jump on the middle of the fence or just been lucky to avoid shock of the bottom 2 wires. The strands bottom 2 strands a 2" (squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice) and 6" (everyone else) away from the fence, middle and top 6".

You *do* want multiple height strands because with a wire being only energized for a moment every 1 second you can touch it between pulses and don't get shocked.
The gate is predator proof and with hot wire above it.

- or should we make a hardware cloth apron around the base of the entire extended fun?
we have that as well but there was no digging attempts, so it is mostly to keep the compost in.
Hot wire seems easier to do (we are wimpy, not good with construction), but we are worried about safety to humans - we work around the garden all the time, neighbors' kids like to come and watch the chickens. I am also worried about safety of our lawn care crew.
put electric fence signs, talk to visiting kids.

Did you use two different energizers or can you work off of one if the electric fence is in the same proximity as the electrical wire for the run?
You can do it all with one energizer - you just need to link them electrically - I have what I call 'jumper cables' - which clip on so are very easy to use.

No dog, no rooster.
The big run was only intended to keep the deer out, chicken in, and hawks out during the day. Didn't think the fox will come in broad day light! It was a scary sight.
the fox WILL come in broad daylight. Believe me, I say this from experience. That fence won't keep it out. I will go under, over ( yes they can climb a bit) or right through. Getting rid of the fox is the best answer. Hot wire would be the next.

we have 4 strands - 2 at the edge of hardware cloth where the large cell fencing begins, one at the middle, one at the top. The middle and top for climbers that could jump on the middle of the fence or just been lucky to avoid shock of the bottom 2 wires. The strands bottom 2 strands a 2" (squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice) and 6" (everyone else) away from the fence, middle and top 6".

You *do* want multiple height strands because with a wire being only energized for a moment every 1 second you can touch it between pulses and don't get shocked.
The gate is predator proof and with hot wire above it.

put electric fence signs, talk to visiting kids.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! we'll put multiple strands soon and apron after ground is no longer frozen.

One more question: how high are each of the strands from the ground?

Back
Top Bottom